Thread: Windows Updates

Default Windows Updates

I have a game "Age of Empires". My grandchildren were always played together on two of my desktops.
    Some time ago they could not play anymore because program want to start on neither PC. I do not know when this
    problem started.
    I tried everything play with compatibility but nothing happen.
    I have old hard drive which I have cloned my existing hard drive about one year ago actually Dec. 2014
    I installed that old hard drive and the program work with no problem.
    I assume that some of updates is causing this program not to work since old hard drive cloned in 2014 work.

My question is.
    Can I delete all of the updates for the year 2015 to see if the game will work. or is there anyone particular
    update that is causing this problem
    It works on the same setup which I have cloned on another hd. in Dec. 2014

Windows 7 (64) Home premium.
    Desktop PC Intel I5-250, 3.30ghz, 8.00gb memory

Thank You

Perky

Hi perky,

I am not sure if updates has anything to do with this. Age of Empires has a support forum found here. I do believe you might get a better answer from one of the members there.

Do stay tuned, though. One of our dedicated members may come along and prove me wrong with an answer to your problem.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

The reason is that my same system which I cloned in Dec. 2014 work.
    Present system worked beginning of 2015 but I do not know which month it stopped to work.
    That is why I suspect that some of the upgrades caused to stop working.

Thank You Donna

Perky

Hi perky,

Is the problem because the game will not work or that the computer itself will not update? Sorry, but I am kind of confused. :blush:
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

The computer works with no problem. It is the game that doesn't work.
    If I change hard drive and install my old HD. which I have cloned in Dec. 2014 and restart the game than game will work.

Thank You

Perky

The reason is that my same system which I cloned in Dec. 2014 work.
    Present system worked beginning of 2015 but I do not know which month it stopped to work.
    That is why I suspect that some of the upgrades caused to stop working.
    After you reloaded the new HD with the cloned version of the old HD, did this game ever work on the new HD?

Sounds like the problem is the cloned version of the game on the new HD. I have a feeling that copyright laws have something to do with this? Did you download and install the game to the old HD from a disc? Was it an original copy of the game? If so, there is a possibility that when the old disc was cloned, due to copyright laws that game was protected and not copied properly.

How did you get the game installed on the old HD? If disc, do you still have that disc? I am sure it would work if it downloaded directly to the new HD and was not a copied\cloned version.

I provided a link to the Age of Empires forum in my post above. Please take a moment to ask the AoE forum members about copyright laws in reference to cloning and if this might be the problem. Let me know what you find out.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 01-01-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: to add information

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

I have original disk and I installed from that original disk. Hard drive is same as when I installed AGE OF EMPIRES.
    It worked on this hard drive until sometime in April or May of 2015.
    I discovered June 2015 that it doesn't work. It is the cloned (copied) Hard drive that it works because it was
    cloned in Dec. 2014 before this problem start.
    I have tried to remove game completely and reinstalled but it doesn't work .

Thank You
    Perky

Hm? Ok...

Have you always had the same AV installed?

Perky, perform a clean boot in Windows by following the instructions found here for you operating system.

Try to open the game and let me know if that helps.

This game doesn't need access to the internet does it? You could disable your AV and try to run the game and see if it works.

If none of those ideas work, please do as follows:

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Devices - (dial) Only Problems -

Click Go and post the result.

I thought there might be a simple answer to this problem but it look to complicated for old game.
    I will go to store and buy new game.

Thank you all for help

Perky