Default Can't open jpg files

I have jpg files on a CD that won't open, although they have previously. The massge now comes up:

'Could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete)'

I'm using photoshop 6 and XP OP system. The same happens on laptop. I've tried programs PC Inspector Recovery and Photo Rescue PC but no joy.

Any ideas how to open the files please?

Hello,

Some ideas I found via a search, but I'm sure you have seen them.

JPEG repair Software to repair corrupt and damaged files

error message opening jpg in photoshop

Hi vambo,

If I am not mistaken, that error is an indication that the files have become corrupted some how.

Do you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager installed on your XP? There's a possibility that you could download the jpeg to your computer, open it up in MS Office Picture Manager and export the file to PNG.

Here's a thread that might help as well.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Hello,

Some ideas I found via a search, but I'm sure you have seen them.

JPEG repair Software to repair corrupt and damaged files

error message opening jpg in photoshop
    Thanks for your response. Just tried Stellar Phoenix and it tries to repair the files but ends up saying it's failed. Tried the other option and still no joy

Quote Originally Posted by vambo View Post
    Thanks for your response. Just tried Stellar Phoenix and it tries to repair the files but ends up saying it's failed. Tried the other option and still no joy

Thanks for your response. I don't have Microsoft Office Picture Manager installed. I did try Windows picture viewer and Paint but still nothing. Also looked at the thread, downloaded irfanview and still nothing.

Vambo, try FastStone Image Viewer to see if you can open it/them. Some programs are more sensitive than others.

In Photoshop, have you tried doing a file > open as and try using tiff and/or some of the other options?

Obviously the files are slightly corrupted or the file extension is not matching the file type. I am leaning more towards corrupted...
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi Donna

Stiil no luck with FastStone. Looks like I've lost the photos.

'In Photoshop, have you tried doing a file > open as and try using tiff and/or some of the other options?'

Tried but didn't work.

Thanks for your response though.