Default Startup Loop Windows 10

My daughter tried to do a factory reset on her notebook. I don't know what the heck she did but Windows will not load. I have asked her what steps she took but she waited 2 months to tell me there was an issue and doesn't remember.

What *I* know after 2 days...

Her notebook is an HP Stream running Windows 10. It was purchased in December 2015.The last updates were run 1-20-2016. She tried the reset a few days later.

When turning on the power it continuously loops the HP logo.

I can force it to go to a page via F11 where i can either troubleshoot, reset the computer or boot it from a device. My genius did not make a recovery backup of any kind and she does not have a window 10 disk.

I tried to just reset the computer, it starts, get to about 54% and says it can't reset. There is no error and no option other than "cancel"

Startup repair just says it cant repair.

There is no restore point available.

I can get to dos to run cmd prompts, I can get to regedit {no i didn't change anything. I just looked to see if i could reach it). i can have it run chkdsk and it says it found an error and fixed it.

Windows is shown to be on Drive C when i checked List Part for the OS drive

SO........ Is this even possible to fix? Is there a way to load a different version of windows like 8.1 on it?

Yes, it's under warranty so it could be fixed that way but I would prefer not to have to go that route unless there is no other option.

Logs will be difficult since right now there is no access to windows at all and I can't even email them to my computer for upload here but I can take pics or whatever if that will help.

Any Ideas? Thank you in advance for even reading.

Hello,

You could create your own installation media

How To Download Windows 10 And Create Your Own Installation Media

Not sure if doing this this will void the warranty though. If I were you I would use the warranty option in case we have a failed hardware issue as in hard drive or ram etc. etc....

Joe

Thank you Zep. I will try that. According to Microsoft tech support it will cost $65.00 to fix this because the hardware is under warranty but apparently the software warranty ran out in 60 days. I ran all the hardware diagnostics, including the extensive ones. Everything passed. So i am fairly confident it is a case of windows missing some registry keys. Hopefully this will help and then I will lock up admin rights so she can't do it again.

Hi miznessatx,

I was under the impression that most warranties were good for 1 year. That may have changed or depends on where the laptop was purchased. Personally, before you do anything, I would go here to create yourself a case number. After following the instructions, a case number and phone number should appear. I would then call and it may help speed up the process...

Please keep us informed to how things work out for you.

Good luck,
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"