Default Computer in loop of internally shutting down then starting up

Hi, I have Windows XP Home Edition. SP 3. Cicero Computer, 32 -bit. Yes, I know it's outdated but my Acer stopped working and I'm trying to make due with this one until I can save up for another. The problem is that I was online and my computer froze. It's done it before - rarely - and I was forced to manually shut it down. When I restarted it, it ran through a quick memory page then this message " We apologize. A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. UNMOUNTABLE - BOOT - VOLUME. " It then went on to say that if this happened because of a power failure,etc, to restart the computer normally. If it happened before then maybe something had been downloaded. Go to that and remove it. Then restart with last known good configuration., etc. I haven't downloaded any programs, etc, for the last month. I tried to start it normally. Windows opens then it's gone. Then computer shut itself down without actually shutting itself off. The light on the hard drive is still on. Then it starts itself up and the opening page is to open normally, safe mode, safe mode with prompts, and numerous other choices. I've tried them all. The same thing happens. Windows will try to start and after about 10 seconds the picture is gone and the hard drive whirrs and it starts itself up again without the light on the hard drive actually going off. If I do do nothing it will choose "start Windows normally" and there's a 30-second count-down. When it reaches O, Windows starts, after 10 seconds it shuts down, restarts, goes to "start Windows normally
    " , count down to 0, shuts down, and keeps doing that indefinitely. The only thing that stops it to it press F5 or some other choice none of which ends up actually getting Windows to open up completely.

Finally, I clicked on F5 and it said "I problem continues disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shading. If you need to use Safe Mode to disable components press f* to select advanced options then select Safe Mode". I did that and it wouldn't go into Safe Mode. It just opened the same page of options as before. If I do nothing it counts down to 0 then opens Windows normally which shuts down after 10 seconds then restarts itself,etc. Going around in circles. I've pressed "Del" and it offered choices such as Advanced BIOS feature. Clicking numerous other butters there's Top Performance... Load Fail-Safe Defaults... Load Optimized Defaults/ Nothing works. There isn't a lot of choice. All I have are the choices at the bottom of the page that opens with 'Start Windows normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Prompts, etc. " . I've tried System Recovery / It brings me to Recovery Vi.0. Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. The choices are 1.) execute backup utility( it says "press B to backup your system". When I di that t says 'Data distribution is too loose. please defrag first. " I don't know what that means.). 2.) execute restore utility ( I tried that. It says...."the program will recover your system to previous status. All data on the hard disk will be lost. Press R to recover your system". I did that and it brought me to the same first page of 'start computer normally.etc" .

I'm hoping to find a way through this. With my old computer I always had the choice of going back a month or so before any problem occurred. Not with this computer. It only allows me the choices at the bottom of the page and I tried the ones I thought might make a difference. The others, I didn't know how to proceed. Your assistance would be appreciated. I am currently on vacation and at the local library computer so it may be a day or more before I can reply to you. Thank you, in advance, for any help you may be able to offer.

Hi rayj81,

You either have a corrupt boot.ini file or a bad hard drive.

What happens when you navigate to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press the Enter key? If that is possible, at the command prompt window, type in the following and press the Enter key.

chkdsk C: /r

Please note the spaces between the commands above.

Otherwords, the problem is that it restarts without any further error which means that the option to execute an Automatic restart when a system failure happens is checked. We need to see if we can uncheck that option. To do so, boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu by pressing the F8 . This is the black window with white letters that most refer to as the Safe Mode screen. On that screen you may see the following in the list of boot options. If so choose that option to see if you can disable the automatic restart so it will boot to a blue screen:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

As soon as you disable that option above, at next restart you should get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with a more detailed error and a few additional information regarding the problem. I need to know the error code you get on that blue screen in order to trouble shot further.

If that above is not a possibility, I am afraid you will need to take it to a local tech shop for some hands on repair.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 04-11-2016 at 07:15 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi rayj81,You either have a corrupt boot.ini file or a bad hard drive. What happens when you navigate to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press the Enter key? If that is possible, at the command prompt window, type in the following and press the Enter key.)
    When I go to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press the Enter, the screen runs through a page(memory?, looks like a list of drives), then back to " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer,etc." The same when I Disable automatic restart on system failure except the screen is blue. Here is the exact message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop Error Screen , restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If proelms continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart y our computer, press F8 to select Advanced Statrup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

STOP OxOOOOOOED ( Ox88B362CO, OxCOOOOOOO6, OxOOOOOOO, OxOOOOOOOO)

When I go to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press the Enter, the screen runs through a page(memory?, looks like a list of drives), then back to " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer,etc." The same when I Disable automatic restart on system failure except the screen is blue. Here is the exact message:

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME

STOP OxOOOOOOED ( Ox88B362CO, OxCOOOOOOO6, OxOOOOOOO, OxOOOOOOOO)
    That's what I was looking for. Not being able to get to the command prompt pretty much verifies that the problem is not a corrupt file system. Unmountable boot volume means that the hard drive can not read what is there.

I do believe that the hard drive is bad.

Here is the Microsoft support article about this error.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297185

If you feel comfortable doing so, try the following steps one by one. Otherwise I am afraid you will need to take it into your local tech shop.

1 ) Replace the HDD cable (SATA or IDE). If there is no spare cable available, temporarily borrow the CD drive cable.

2 ) If the issue still remains, boot from the XP CD and open "Recovery Console". From there you should run "CHKDSK C: /R" command to fix any possible C drive file system corruption. Read the below guide with picture illustration to know how to boot in to the recovery console.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...s/rconsole.htm

Post how the system works after doing the above steps.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 04-13-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add information
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

[b][color=red]If you feel comfortable doing so, try the following steps one by one. Otherwise I am afraid you will need to take it into your local tech shop.
    1 ) Replace the HDD cable (SATA or IDE). If there is no spare cable available, temporarily borrow the CD drive cable.2 ) If the issue still remains, boot from the XP CD and open "Recovery Console". From there you should run "CHKDSK C: /R" command to fix any possible C drive file system corruption. Read the below guide with picture illustration to know how to boot in to the recovery console.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...s/rconsole.htmPost how the system works after doing the above steps.
    Thank you. I got this computer second-hand after my first one stopped working unexpectedly. I tried the XP CD that came with it and the result is that the system doesn't recognize it. I don't know if there is such a thing as a generic CD that works for all(or almost all) computers.

See if you can reboot the computer and press the F12 key to access the BIOS and make sure the computer is configured to boot from cd/dvd drive first.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

See if you can reboot the computer and press the F12 key to access the BIOS and make sure the computer is configured to boot from cd/dvd drive first.
    It brings up BIOS but won't let me go past that point. If I try it just brings me back to the "We've encountered a problem" page. I've given it to a shop to look at and see what the problem is. I'll let you know what he finds out if this thread is still current. Thanks for your help, Donna.

Ok jray. Thank you for letting me know. I sure wished I was able to do more to help. Please do share the diagnosis once you hear from the tech shop. I really am curious as to what the problem was. Knowing could certainly help others as well.

Donna

Ok jray. Thank you for letting me know. I sure wished I was able to do more to help. Please do share the diagnosis once you hear from the tech shop. I really am curious as to what the problem was. Knowing could certainly help others as well. Donna
    They said the hard drive was shot. Thanks for your help.

Ah. I was afraid that was the problem..

That you for letting me know.