Blog Entries

Default Dell XPS 8700 randomly shuts down

I have a Dell XPS 8700 running WIN 10 that randomly shuts down with no warning. The PC will not reboot until I press the soft off button and reboot the PC from the beginning. Any suggestions will be appreciated. It's frustrating since the PC shuts down and not a controlled shutdown. No data is saved.

Hi capndavid,

I do apologize for not replying sooner. Did you ever get this sorted? While looking into the problem you are experiencing I came across your topic at the Dell site found here and I was waiting to see if they had a solution for you. Did they or do you still need help?

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Hi Donna, thank you very responding and the answer to your question is no i have not solved the shutdown problem. I have been on the Dell support site and actually the topic you located is my post on Dell community. Dell support staff have provided some suggestions but appear to have run out of ideas. Their correspondance has stopped. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
    David

Hello,

Run the computer with the case open, the most likely issue is heat on a shut down like that.

In addition to zep516's suggestion, purchase a can of compressed air and blow the dust bunnies out of the inner case. Give it a good cleaning. A build up of dust could cause over heating.

Could you also give us a brief idea of what Dell had suggested so we don't waste time duplicating their suggestions?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"