Default Help for dd's Macbook - can't connect to internet (page not found) - plus malware?

My daughter has Macbook Pro from 2013. I am not a Mac person, so I have trouble helping her. For days now, her Macbook can't connect to websites. It says problem loading page, then a window comes up that says connection was reset - whenever she tries to go anywhere online. Except when the site is already in her history or she has it bookmarked. In other words, when her laptop has already been there before. In all other circumstances (all browsers - firefox, chrome, safari), she cannot access any sites. It doesn't matter if somebody sends her a link - clicking the link won't get to the site. It will say connection reset. If she does a google search - or is otherwise on a page with a link to a website, clicking it doesn't work.

She had googled this and only found that people discussed this - but said it passes quickly. She's rebooted the computer. We've run Avast anvirus. We don't know good anti-malware for macs.

Any ideas what the problem is - how we can fix it? All other machines in the house can connect to wireless network. We tried directly connecting to the net with an ethernet cable from the router. We brought up a new site at first - then it seemed the problem recurred.

On another note, does anybody know good antimalware and antispyware programs for a Mac. We have Avast antivirus - and ccleaner on her macbook, but those are the only tools I know from maintaining our windows computers that have Mac versions.

Thank you.

Lynn.

Hello Lynn,

Unfortunately I can't advise you on a Mac, only this idea, is there a on off button for wireless located on the keyboard like windows machines have.

I'd consider posting below:

MacBook Pro | MacRumors Forums

and some information here as well,

What to Do When Your Mac Won

Hi Zep,

Nice to hear from you. I was afraid of that. Going off to a whole new world of Mac forums. I told my daughter when she wanted this Macbook that I didn't know Mac's so I couldn't help her if she ran into trouble. But then we learned that her school actually wanted the kids to be doing their work on a Mac - and it seemed more reasonable. This one is above our heads. We did think about the button. My daughter was unaware of any but I'll have to google to see if there is one.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

Any luck Lynn ?

Joe