Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Taxes, taxes, taxes. I'm self employed, someone help

I've used pdf exchange and sumatra and had good experiences with both
    Those are fine and good choices. I would pick sumatra myself.

If your familiar with Avast then I would use it. You can download it and install it. Windows 10 will auto shut off Defender. So nothing there to uninstall.

I installed skype and it's asking if RAVGexe

Not getting anything on a search for RAVGexe and that usually means a mis- spelling of the file

I saw spwareblaster, I'd keep that and perhaps skip SuperAntispyware

We might install Crypto prevent, but I need to do a bit of research on it, or Donna may chime in on that one.

Thanks
    Joe

Hi Lynn,

Looks like Joe has all the bases covered here.

If SpywareBlaster is the free version, make sure to open the program up from time to time and update it manually.

His suggestion to install CryptoPrevent is a great idea. CryptoPrevent will help to prevent specific actions many variants of ransomware are known to use and focuses exclusively on preventing the malware’s malicious behavior of encrypting your precious files, but only after the malware has infected your machine. In other words, if CryptoPrevent actually helps you in any way, it’s because malware was somehow allowed on your machine, so prevention is top priority and I do feel that Avast is much better at prevention than Window Defender is. You will need to manually update CryptoPrevent as well from time to time unless of course you install the paid version. I'll go ahead and post the instructions below on how to install CryptoPrevent since I stole them from Joe in the first place.

Other than that, I do believe he has you all set and ready to enjoy your new Windows 10 computer.

1. Download CryptoPrevent free for home use here following the instructions below.
    2. Save the file to your desktop from the link above and then open the program by clicking Run when prompted from your browser or by going to the desktop where the file was saved and double-clicking.
    3. Accept all the defaults during the install. The last screen of the install has a checkmark in "Launch CryptoPrevent". This is good and will launch the program once you click Finish.
    4. You will get a prompt asking if you purchased a Product Key for Automatic Updates. You can answer No.
    5. You will then be prompted to learn more about automatic updates or if you want to purchase a key. This is up to you but you don't have to.
    6. You will then be prompted to apply all default protections. Answer Yes.
    7. You may get a message stating that Windows Sidebar and Desktop Gadgets are a major security vulnerability and asking you if you want to disable them. If you don't use these features, answer Yes.
    8. That's it. The protection is in place.

Note: Don't forget! The free version doesn't provide automatic updates. Periodically, you should open up the program (there is a shortcut on your desktop now) and select the Updates! menu....and select Check for Updates to see if there are any as this infection has serious consequences.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

By the way,

I think the correct spelling is RAVBg64.exe, and it is a type of EXE file associated with HD Audio Background Process developed by Realtek Semiconductor Corp. It helps you to hear High Definition Audio and Video from Skype. So, it is okay to "allow access to skype".

See here > https://community.skype.com/t5/Windo...e/td-p/3812087
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi Lynn,

Here is another program that I like to recommend to install as a protective measure. Anytime you plug any device into a USB drive, McShield will scan the device to ensure it is clean and safe to use.

Download McShield2 to your desktop and install with default settings.
    In the control center, select scanner and check unhide items on flash drives

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Dear Joe and Donna,

Well, I feel silly. I've had this post opened on my computer. Since I haven't been receiving email notifications, I checked this page and pressed reload. I didn't see additional posts - until tonight when I noticed that there was a second page. So now I see your great suggestions. I'll go ahead and install Avast - glad to know that Windows will just take care of Windows Defender. I'll get Cryptoprevent and mcshield2. I'm used to having free versions and updating all my free antivirus and antimalware every week and doing manual scans. So that's already part of my routine.

Donna - that was some good detective work figuring out which file I'd meant - RAVBg4.exe. It's good to know it's fine to let it access skype.

Are cryptoprevent and mcshield2 programs I should put on our other windows machines (mostly Windows 7 and 10 - one XP about to replaced when I finish taxes.

Yes Joe - I'm self-employed too, which makes taxes more complicated. And we have a ridiculous amount of out of pocket medical expenses (for relatively healthy people), and a few other tax situations that make doing taxes a multiple day process.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

Hi Lynn

Donna - that was some good detective work figuring out which file I'd meant - RAVBg4.exe. It's good to know it's fine to let it access skype.
    Thank you!

Are cryptoprevent and mcshield2 programs I should put on our other windows machines (mostly Windows 7 and 10 - one XP about to replaced when I finish taxes.
    Oh yes! All my systems have both installed and since you do your taxes on the XP, that would be the first one that I installed CryptoPrevent on, especially since XP is so vulnerable. It certainly would not be a good time to have any of your business files encrypted. The only way to get them back is from backups and if you have no backups you're doomed! Try to explain that to Uncle Sam..

A lot of people don't realize that if you have an external storage drive attached to their computers for the purpose of backing up their files, that the files backed up to the external can get encrypted as well and back to square one with no back ups to protect you if you do get infected with file encrypting ransomeware, so the best thing to do is to prevent it.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We would be more than happy to help in any way that we can.

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    First of all lets see what's running.

Download HijackThis

• Go Here to download HijackThis program
    • Save HijackThis to your desktop.
    • Right Click on Hijackthis and select "Run as Admin" (XP users just need to double click to run)
    • Click on "Do A system scan and save a logfile" (if you do not see "Do A system scan and save a logfile" then click on main menu)
    • copy and paste hijackthis report into the topic

Next lets see what's installed

Start HijackThis
    Click on the Config button
    Click on the Misc Tools button
    Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.

click on the Save list... button and specify where you would like to save this file I'd save to the desktop. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file. Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad into a reply

You can remove it from the programs an features list just like any program, it should uninstall ok. We will check for left overs.
    No need to install an Anti Virus as soon as McAfee is uninstalled windows defender should start {That's really Microsoft Security Essentials} on Windows 10. We can check to make sure its running.

Some people who buy Dell PC soon discover that there are several preloaded software that many advanced users feel are not needed. Some users may want to uninstall Dell Stage, Dell Digital Delivery and Dell DataSafe, just to mention a few examples.
    This will remove crapware preinstalled from Dell.
    Remove Bloatware from Windows | Decrap My Computer

Hold off from running that until we actually see what's on it.

Please start with Hijackthis instructions first and we will go from there.

Joe
    Thanks for that tip

Hi Donna,

Thank you for your recommendation to get cryptoprevent and mcshield2 on all my systems - esp. the xp computer because of it's vulnerabilities and doing taxes on it.

I was out of town, but returned and was going to get back to taxes when I saw your last post. So I installed those programs first. I hoped to do my taxes and get some pressing estate stuff done before dealing with my desktop in other ways, but it's now having significant problems. I'm going to start a separate thread because I don't think I can finish the work I need to do when the computer stops working and has to rebooted once or twice a day.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12