Default Windows 10 upgrade puzzling question

Was said if you have w10, if you need to re-format you can put it back.
    Last edited by paulandjean; 08-31-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Get Windows 10 for Free After July 29th, with a Little Prep Now

Get Windows 10 for Free After July 29th, with a Little Prep Now

How accurate that information is I'm not sure.

You can also reinstall windows 10 from windows 10 refresh or reset,

Everything You Need to Know About Refreshing and Resetting Your Windows 8 or 10 PC

Sorry for being confused (it's early and I need more coffee), but do you mean that your computer came with W8.1 installed and you allowed the upgrade to W10 and now you want to go back to W8.1?

During the upgrade, there are two folders that are created by Windows during the process and are required files to perform the rollback. Once the 30 day limit is over, Windows 10 deletes these files to ensure that you can no longer downgrade to earlier operating system version. By renaming these files, you are essentially tricking your operating system to not delete these. When you do intend to roll back Windows 10 after the 30 day limit, TWC suggests to rename them back to their original names. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery to downgrade to your earlier operating system version. If the folder were not renamed and saved, I am pretty sure the only way to roll back is with a disc or recovery media that was created from the original OS install when the computer was purchased.

How to downgrade Windows 10 after a month - How-To - PC Advisor

How to rollback Windows 10 after 30 days limit
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thanks for reply. The computer came originally with w8.
    I switched to w10 for free, this several months ago.
    The computer now needs to be reformatted, the hard disk wiped out and Windows put back.
    I was told by Microsoft representative that this means I can NOT get the w10 again without paying for it.
    I said," Yes but I HAD the w10 before; doesn't that "entitle" the computer to have it once again?" Again, No.
    So question: Is this correct? I could of course just reformat, and thus find out, but don't want to risk losing the w10.
    I thought the story is once you install w10 on a particular machine, you are FOREVER entitled to it, on that machine.
    C'est bien trange!
    Last edited by paulandjean; 08-13-2016 at 11:00 PM.

I want to do a bit more research on this (unless zep or someone else knows off the top of their head) to make sure we are correct here. If I am not mistaken, once the computer is upgraded to W10, it wipes out the recovery partition and you won't even be able to go back to what was originally installed which is W8.

You didn't happen to create the recovery media on a USB flash drive when you bought the computer with W8 installed did you?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

ok
    Last edited by paulandjean; 08-22-2016 at 10:34 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to paulandjean For This Useful Post:

Hi paulandjean,

I didn't realize you edited your post above. I thought that you found a way to get this computer restored back to W8.1.

Is all back to normal now or what?