Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows Vista Laptop No Longer Does Windows Updates

Hi,

My Mums laptop does not seem to have done any Windows Updates since June of this year, I don't know why it's stopped and each time I go to update it just sits there for hours saying "Checking for updates"

I have tried stopping the services relating to windows update, clearing out the following location:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Restart and try again - failed.

I tried doing some manual recommended updates downloading msi's from the Microsoft website - failed.

I tried running a full CC Clean & Task cleanup and retry - Failed.

Can anyone help me this one has me stumped

Laptop Specs:

Windows Vista SP2
    Dell Inspiron 1525
    Intel Duel CPU 1.73 GHz
    4.0 GB Memory
    32-bit OS

Many thanks!

James

Is KB3145739 already installed? If not, you can try to download and install it manually:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=51871

This patch can really help.

(First disable Windows Update. After applying this patch, check the updates manually. Later you can enable it again if you want.)

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Is KB3145739 already installed? If not, you can try to download and install it manually:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=51871

This patch can really help.

(First disable Windows Update. After applying this patch, check the updates manually. Later you can enable it again if you want.)
    Hi Zep516, thanks for the quick reply.

I already had that security update installed, but for what's it's worth I uninstalled it, restarted, installed it and restarted again. Turned back on the Win Update service and tried again but still I have the same issue

Any other ideas I can try?

Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > select "Never check for updates"
    - Restart the computer
    - Go to this page Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution and Install manually the updates listed here in order, that apply to your Windows
    - If any of the updates says it's already installed simply Cancel and move on to the next Update;

Notes:
    - After installing each update if you get a prompt to restart the computer choose No until you install the last update on the list
    - IMPORTANT: After installing each update you need to Stop the Windows Update Service if you don't do this the install will get stuck searching for updates...

press Windows key +R type services.msc
    locate Windows Update on the list of services, right click on it and click Stop

After installing the updates and restart the computer open the Control Panel -> Windows Update and search for updates, let it run for some time until it lists the updates that you need to install

Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > select "Never check for updates"
    - Restart the computer
    - Go to this page Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution and Install manually the updates listed here in order, that apply to your Windows
    - If any of the updates says it's already installed simply Cancel and move on to the next Update;

Notes:
    - After installing each update if you get a prompt to restart the computer choose No until you install the last update on the list
    - IMPORTANT: After installing each update you need to Stop the Windows Update Service if you don't do this the install will get stuck searching for updates...

press Windows key +R type services.msc
    locate Windows Update on the list of services, right click on it and click Stop

After installing the updates and restart the computer open the Control Panel -> Windows Update and search for updates, let it run for some time until it lists the updates that you need to install
    Hi Zep,

I followed what you said, I installed the following Vista updates:

KB3198234
    KB3194371
    KB3203859

I didn't see any other updates related to Visita?

Anyway I did that and still the same issue after letting the system search for updates all day

Any final thoughts?

Clear the BITS queue. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter:
    bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers

I'll look around at more things to do. There should be a Microsoft fixit for windows up date issues. I'm looking for it.

Also up-date the Windows update agent.

How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Scroll down a bit to find Vista

Hi Zep, I run this command:

bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers

It gave the result 0 of 0 jobs completed.

I checked my Windows Update Version for Vista and it's the most current version as per that website.

I looked at your other link but couldn't see where to download the fix it tool which I would love to try.

I'm running the update again now but still no joy.

Thanks

System Update Readiness tool.

Try running that

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

System Update Readiness tool.

Try running that

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821
    Hi Zep, I tried running that tool but alas still the same issue.

Any joy with finding that fix it tool?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast