Default W7 Updates taking FOREVER

Does anyone have a solution to the problem of Windows Updates for W7 taking forever to check for updates and download them? For the last few months it's been a glacially slow process checking for and downloading updates but eventually (after days) it worked but this last set of updates is proving impossible to download. Given that MS is still meant to be supporting W7 I'm not sure what the problem is and how to fix it.

My laptop runs W7 Pro. A check for updates took 3 days (!!) of the machine being left on, no sleep, 24 hours a day. 3 updates were eventually found and they took several hours to download.

My PC runs W7 Home Premium. A check for updates also took 3 days + and eventually it said there were 3 updates to download (same ones as the laptop) but I've been trying to download them for the last 2 weeks without success. I tried downloading them one at a time but that didn't help. The machine is not in sleep mode and I've left it on literally for days just hanging on "downloading updates" and I'm still being told there are 3 updates to download.

Any help would be really appreciated. It seems there are quite a few people having the same trouble but I haven't been able to find a solution that works and would be nervous anyway about trying some of them without trusted guidance.

Thanks
    Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

All windows 7 updates have been doing this for awhile now. There's been a workaround to speed things up for a bit. Check out Dalai's fix here: Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mich For This Useful Post:

Hi Mich, thanks very much for your reply and the link.

I'm a little confused by the terminology though - could someone guide me through it please as I'm not sure what to download first (it seems you have to download more than one thing but in the right order). Also, I don't have a clue what the instructions after "Steps to take after Windows installation" actually means

TIA

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

This is about the same thing Mich posted,

The Windows Update problem is a known one created by Microsoft...

- First Disable Automatic Updates:
    Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > select "Never check for updates"
    - Restart the computer
    - Go to this page Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution and Install manually the updates listed here in order, that apply to your Windows
    - If any of the updates says it's already installed simply Cancel and move on to the next Update;

Notes:
    - After installing each update if you get a prompt to restart the computer choose No until you install the last update on the list
    - IMPORTANT: After installing each update you need to Stop the Windows Update Service if you don't do this the install will get stuck searching for updates...

press Windows key +R type services.msc
    locate Windows Update on the list of services, right click on it and click Stop

After installing the updates and restart the computer open the Control Panel -> Windows Update and search for updates, let it run for some time until it lists the updates that you need to install

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Hi Joe, thanks for your post

I'm following your instructions and will post back with results once the whole thing has completed. Hopefully Mich's suggestion will work, it's such a frustrating proces at the moment, I guess MS are just trying to push us all on to W10 by making these updates as difficult as possible.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Success, it worked! I only had to install the July Rollup as it seems I already had both servicing stacks installed. It then checked for updates which only took a couple of minutes and then downloaded and installed the three outstanding ones within a matter of a few minutes more, hallelujah and praise be

Thank you Mich for providing the solution and Joe for talking me through it, you're the best

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11