Thread: Printer problem

Default Printer problem

My ISP sent me a new router and i am having a problem setting up wireless printing. I keep getting this message. It prints when i connect the printer to my laptop with a USB cable.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Hello,

Have you had any progress ? I'm not sure of how to advise on that particular issue other then reinstalling the printer driver. I wonder if it would work in safemode with networking ???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Wireless printing prints to a "networked" printer while printing via USB to your notebook is using a "local" printer. This means the printer in each computer needs to be setup to print to a networked port, not a printer port, and this is tied to the IP address of the printer, most likely assigned by your new router. And my guess is, your new router dynamically assigned a different IP than your old router.

Sadly, you didn't tell us which version of Windows but I would suggest you disconnect the printer from your computer and uninstall the old printer drivers from each computer, reboot, then start again to install a networked printer. You printer manual should show how to do this.

Note if you have multiple devices that come and go that need to print to this printer, you might consider setting up a "static" or permanent IP address for this printer in your new router. This ensures this printer always get the same IP address.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thanks, I have solved the problem by downloading new drivers. I don't know why i needed them because the old ones on the installation disc worked before i got the new router.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Great! I am glad you got it sorted out.

BTW, I never install drivers from a disk that came with my devices. First, they typically include "suites" of features most users never need that often intrude on your system resources. These often include extra running programs like auto-updaters and "cloud" features you may not want (that may even impact your system's security! ). And second, they typically are way outdated. So I always visit the device maker's site to download and install the latest drivers, and only the drivers/features I need.

Thanks for posting your update.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: