Thread: Windows 10

Blog Entries

Default Windows 10

I have been given a Dell Inspiron as a birthday present. Windows 10 is giving me grief. I have used W 10 before but am going around in circles. Following an update, Start, Cortana and Search have stopped. I have tried numerous suggested ways from the internet and YouTube but nothing seems to solve the problem. I also got the student's version of Microsoft Office with the machine but Word keeps "not responding". I am not computer illiterate but neither am I up to date with all the latest developments. All suggestions and offers of help greatly appreciated.

Hi LOL, :HUG:

See message in chat box....

Did you come across the following link in your online search?

Start Menu, Cortana and Taskbar Search not working in Windows 10

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Hi Donna. After numerous attempts and in an effort to sort out my Windows 10 problems I tried downloading an app (cost me $43.50). This promised to sort out all my Windows 10 problems but all that happened was that the machine went into overdrive and ended up with the Dell Recovery Program cutting in before ending up with the blue screen of death. Nothing would shift it after that. I took it to my friendly IT technician who tried for two days to get into it. Eventually he called me and told me the only course was to reinstall Windows 10 but he couldn't save any of my files. I agreed as I'd only had the laptop for 10 days and there were no files of any consequence saved. He reinstalled Windows 10 and everything is ticking over nicely now. I have reinstalled all my files (I had, of course, backed them up) and am back in the land of the living. A costly lesson though.
    Lol
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Hi LOL,

That is quite a bit of money to spend only to find it didn't fix the problem. May I ask which program it was that you purchased?

Anytime you have questions, anyone here at H2G would be more than happy to help in any way they can. Even if you want to fix it yourself and you want to ask if maybe some particular app might help, or not, we would provide you with an honest answer from an educated point of view.

I am so glad that you got it sorted now. It may have been a costly lesson to learn but in the end, you did learn something and you sharing it with us and the world will help others as well.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Blog Entries

Hi Donna. The program was called ReImage. I don't know if it caused the trouble but it set off the Dell Recovery process and then ground to an immovable stop. I couldn't even get it to reboot in safe mode. I'll try to send you an email later.
    Lol XX

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Hi Lol,

My apologies for the delay. Gosh! It seemed like yesterday when I read your reply. Hard to believe that 6 days has past already.

I did a little research on the ReImage Repair program and it seems that program is a type of scamware that will scan your computer but in order to fix anything you have to purchase a license key. I have a good feeling this program did trash your computer.

The program does scan the registry and from what I understand reverses any damage detected from it's own full database of replacement files. As you have found, this type of software will do a lot more harm than good. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair. And in your case, Windows itself. Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, what happened to you should be enough to convince all the non-believers...

You said that your IT professional reinstalled Windows. Is the computer running fine now?

Donna

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi Lol,

My apologies for the delay. Gosh! It seemed like yesterday when I read your reply. Hard to believe that 6 days has past already.

I did a little research on the ReImage Repair program and it seems that program is a type of scamware that will scan your computer but in order to fix anything you have to purchase a license key. I have a good feeling this program did trash your computer.

The program does scan the registry and from what I understand reverses any damage detected from it's own full database of replacement files. As you have found, this type of software will do a lot more harm than good. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair. And in your case, Windows itself. Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, what happened to you should be enough to convince all the non-believers...

You said that your IT professional reinstalled Windows. Is the computer running fine now?

Donna

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Blog Entries

Oops! Talk very soon.
    Lol

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

I know oops all to well.

Talk soon.
    Donna

Blog Entries

Hi Donna. Life is just too hectic at the moment. Did you get my email? The laptop seems to be running OK now and I am gradually getting things back to the way I like them. I started a reply to you (Oops!) but something turned up and I had to quit my message. Thanks for the research into Reimage. A lesson learned the hard way. You think I'd know better at my age. Lots to tell you. Can you send me a very quick email so I can check your email address and fill you in on what's been happening.
    Hugs
    Lol

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge