Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Excel 2003 "restore down" problem

One of our clients is using Excel 2003 (yes, I know, don't say it!).

She has sent us some spreadsheets which we need to "restore down".

The restore down window should then have its own border which we can grab & drag as needed.

Not this time.

When we hit restore down all we see is the middle of the sheet. (I would attach an image but when I click on "manage attachments" a blank window pops up; no instructions)

We can't see any borders which are vital if we are to move the window or see the tabs at the foot of the sheet.

I think this is something to do with "page setup" but I can't figure it.

Any Excel geniuses out there to help?

Many thanks.
    PLEASE DONATE. Help keep our site alive without ads.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

Hi OddJob,

One thing that I am not, that is an Excel genius! I googled Excel restore down and found a couple links that might help. See below and let me know how far off I am in your search for a solution to the problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-dc5c4651f55a

Excel Window, Workbook Window, Worksheet Window

(I would attach an image but when I click on "manage attachments" a blank window pops up; no instructions)
    Strange. I get the Manage Attachment screen with the option to Browse for the file I would like to attach.

Thanks Donna, I googled this too before posting but didn't find the solution. I'll check out your links to see if they help.

I've tried again to attach a pic but - as before - I click on "manage attachments" but just get a blank window.

Is there some other way I can send the to you pic for you to post? PM maybe?

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

I see no option to attach an image in a PM so I'll send you my email address in a PM so you can send the image to me by email. I'll then download and attach for you from there.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thanks Donna.

You're welcome OddJob. See PM.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DonnaB; 10-23-2017 at 07:06 AM. Reason: to add attachment
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi OddJob,

Did you try any of those options in the 2nd link that I posted above? Corrine pointed out the following which is found under Minimize, Maximize/Restore, Close buttons (#minmax)

The Windows shortcut key ALt+SpaceBar, Displays the System menu for the active window, brings up this menu and you can move the window with the arrow keys even if the title bar is hidden behind the top of the screen. Donít confuse hidden title bar with Full Screen View (F11) in Excel where there is no Title Bar.
    1. Try ALT+SpaceBar to see if that displays the missing buttons.
    2. See if it is in full screen view, which has no title bar: Press F11.

She also asked:

Are other Excel spreadsheets behaving the same way or is it just that one? If just that one, it is likely corrupt. If all, then perhaps that very old program itself is corrupt.
    After reading your first post more thoroughly I noticed that you said the client sent you "some" spreadsheets, meaning more than one. Was the border there before you hit restore down? Does this happen to all the spreadsheets when you hit restore down?

Smile

Thanks Donna and Corrine.

My wife and I have been bashing our heads against a brick wall on this one. Nothing we try works.

Yes, we have tried many of the options and suggestions in that second link you posted and, no, all other spreadsheets from that client and from other clients all work fine.

We are drawn to the conlcusion that this particular workbook is corrupted. We're finding workarounds to enable us to complete our work but we're designing new spreadsheet templates for the client to use from now on. Ones that actually work!

You're welcome OddJob. I would have to agree then that if it is just that particular workbook, it is corrupted.

Not sure if this will help or not. but following is a link of links concerning how to fix an Excel spreadsheet/workbook that is corrupted:

how to fix corrupted excel 2003 spreadsheet/workbook

Thanks Donna. I'll give it a look thru when I have a few moments (today has been very hectic and I'm just catching up).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast