Smile Lightweight option for basic computer use

I am thinking of buying a new laptop (or perhaps a tablet) on Cyber Monday. I currently am living in Mexico and plan to continue to travel a lot, and want something that doesn't weigh much but gives me the ability to do basic things like email, skype, and internet. Also to watch some US tv shows and movies. It would also be nice to be able to read books on a screen, in case I am somewhere where I don't have access to English books like I have now. Is Kindle my only option???

My current laptop (a Lenovo) is almost 5 yrs old and still works OK but it's heavy, probably close to 6 lbs. That's a lot to add to a carry-on when weight is a factor. Plus now there are some countries one flies from into the U.S. where it's required to put electronics into checked baggage so adding so much more weight limits me for other things I would want to pack.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what I should get? Are tablets sufficient for what I want to do? I think I would need one that has a Win OS, if I went that route, but I'm just not up to date on technology so could use your advice.

I did see an Acer Chromebook R13 Convertible on Amazon and wonder if a convertible is a good option for my needs.

I currently have an HDMI cable connecting my laptop to my TV so I can project Netflix and USTV.com onto the larger screen. Haven't done any other streaming here, and have no idea what I might want to do in the future in countries outside Mexico.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Hi mysong,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Does it matter what type of OS is installed? There any many options you could choose from here.....

My son has a little ASUS netbook (Windows) that he takes traveling with him for the kids. For storage he uses a 3TB HDD to download movies/books and games on. Legal/paid for downloads of course!

I have an Acer Aspire One Windows 8.1, 10.1" screen, 2+ lbs that is nice for traveling. I am strictly a Windows girl so I don't have much experience with Androids. Let's see what other members can advise on that.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

I am not up on the latest options but I will say you need to set a budget. You also need to decide on a size.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────