Default Firefox 57 or switch to a different browser?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had switched to FF 57 and if you had any thoughts on it? I haven't updated to it yet but there appear to be quite a number of disgruntled users out there so I thought I'd get some trusted opinions here first before updating or maybe even switching to another browser entirely. I don't want to sync with other devices so will only be using it on a desktop and a laptop, both of which run W7. There are a number of legacy add-ons that I rely on that won't work with the new update which is annoying but maybe there will be alternatives available.

FF 57 is being promoted as being much faster but speed was never a huge issue for me as my internet use is straightforward but I always liked FF because it was so customisable and also because of privacy (one reason I don't like google).

Before updating and having to spend hours undoing all sorts of "improvements" I probably won't like I'd really appreciate any opinions or perhaps even preferences for possible alternative browsers if you're not convinced by all the update hype.

Thank you, as always

Steph
    Last edited by Steph; 11-26-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hello, Steph. I personally dont like it, it rearranged my bookmarks and the larger forums I am on it takes forever to load (if at all). If I go there with Internet Explorer they load just fine. Just two quick things i dont like about it.

As far as other browsers, i will leave that to the experts!

Hi crash, thanks for replying

Your experience seems to be the same as others I've read about although Mozilla are hyping it as being much faster. I feel uncomfortable staying with FF56 as it will start to have security issues if not updated soon but I don't want to have any issues with loading etc. I've been using FF for years and have it just the way I like it so hate the thought of having to change and start afresh with something unfamiliar but unless others here think differently I think it may be time to look at other browsers (really don't like IE) - but which one is the question.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Hello again, I see no one else has added any opinions. I would think that staying current with a browser you like, would be less time consuming then switching to another?
    As with all updates, the learning curve can be small to huge! This update isnt that bad, but still a little time,to learn. Wifey likes IE, so when i or she has issues, i try the same website with the other browser.

Sharing a computer makes it interesting some times, but at least the kiddos dont use ours anymore! good luck! crash

I don't care for it my self seems a bit slow.

I may go back to pale moon very much like Firefox.

https://www.palemoon.org/

@ crash
    Hi crash thanks for replying again I see your point about sticking with something you know and just learning the changes but from what I've read I don't think FF is going to suit me anymore. Shame, as I've used it for years and had it just the way I liked it - which won't be available anymore as most of my addons are now legacy. I really dislike IE and use it as little as possible. Ditto anything to do with Google. I've been looking at other browsers and think I probably will try something different once I've checked them all out.

Hiya zep
    Well, if you don't like it that does it for me! I've read others saying the same thing too. I was thinking of Pale Moon as well, I tried it a few years ago and then I think they stopped doing updates (or something like that, there was a reason why I uninstalled it which I can't remember now). I've come across a number of other browsers which might be worth looking at too, I'll look into them and post them in a new thread.

"Speak" soon
    Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11