Default Windows crash???

Please oh please can someone advise? I've just bought a brand new hard drive for my DELL laptop. I installed Windows 8.1 no problem, it activated no problem. But as I was personalizing things the programme (not the power) shut down & all I got was a blank screen??? Please could someone make sense of this for me?

Hi Stallios,

Welcome to Help2Go!

But as I was personalizing things the programme (not the power) shut down & all I got was a blank screen??? Please could someone make sense of this for me?
    Could you please explain in more detail? Personalizing what and which program?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi 'DonnaB'. Thank you for replying. In between asking for help from 'help2go', and your very kind reply, I'd taken the laptop to a friend. After much research he discovered that the bios was out of date (means nothing to me)!! He downloaded various drivers & tweaked the laptop (and fitted a new hard drive for me), and now it works perfect. Apparently DELL provide a driver that eradicates & fixes 'black screens' that occur in Windows 8. He downloaded & installed the necessary driver....and hey presto...problem solved. But I'm really sorry & hope I haven't wasted your time. But thank you for replying. Every blessing. Chris

Hi Chris,

No need to apologize at all. The important thing is that you got this problem sorted. Not everyone is blessed with friends such as you have. Each and every detail your friend checked out could have just a small part of the big picture which is why I asked for further details.

In the end, your laptop is back to working order. That is what is important.

If ever you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to ask. One of the dedicated members here at Help2Go will be more than happy to assist you.

Till next time. Have a nice day!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thank you for understanding.

You're welcome.