Blog Entries

Default Browser flickers

I am running win IE 11 on my Dell XPS 8700, running OS Win 10 home. I have four monitors, 2 Acer 24, 2 Dell P28. Can anyone help with why the IE 11 browser will occasionally flicker? It's random and very annoying. Doesn't appear to be related to content but the content disappears and the browser screen is white, occasionally the web browser will close the connection and restart the session, the monitor doesn't go dark.
    Thank you

Does it do this on all 4 monitors? Have you tried a different browser? Only when looking at web pages? Never when doing something else?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    Does it do this on all 4 monitors? Have you tried a different browser? Only when looking at web pages? Never when doing something else?

Blog Entries

Yes all four monitors the Dell P28 are more often but all flicker at random times and only web browsing. Honestly have not tried a different browser. Any suggestions? Seems the browser world is becoming a cesspool for hackers and hi jackers.

Seems the browser world is becoming a cesspool for hackers and hi jackers.
    I don't know what that means. It is rarely the actual browser that gets hacked.

I did not ask my question about all 4 monitors properly. When it flickers, does the flicker occur on all 4 monitors at the same time, or does each monitor flicker independently?

I have to say Internet Explorer was my preferred browser for many many years. I never fell for all the hype that it was unsafe - that said, the intensely biased and inaccurate bad press IE has received ever since IE6 and XP came out won't go away. So Microsoft knows no matter what they do to "fix" IE and keep it relevant, they cannot change the closed minds of the IE critics, or the lemming parrots who echo their criticisms. So IE must go away too.

Sadly, it seems when Microsoft released Edge, development and maintenance of IE was curtailed. It started to become less stable and develop other issues. I have no evidence but my feeling is that Microsoft was trying to "encourage" users to migrate away from IE and on to Edge. It might have worked if Edge was worth it. But when W10 came out, Edge clearly was an unfinished product and it only recently has become worth another look.

Either way, you need to start looking at moving away from IE. I finally did and now I use Pale Moon as my primary browser. It was forked from Firefox. You should try it, or Edge or perhaps Chrome and see if you experience the same problems.

Note too flickering graphics could indicate a power problem. If me, I would swap in a known good, capable power supply to see if the problem recurs. Are your graphics drivers current? And how are you feeding 4 monitors? Do you have two graphics cards? Understand it is not uncommon for graphics solutions to be the most power hungry component in our systems - even more than the CPUs. So two graphics cards could put a real strain on your power supply.

Have you scanned for malware? Is Windows current?

The thing that bothers me is you say it only happens when browsing. Do other computers on your network experience this? Did this computer with this hardware configuration feeding all 4 monitors used to work fine without any flickering?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

I have visited this site many times over the years with computer problems and never have I walked away with a bad experience, always top notch, thank you for your response. These are great questions and comments. The 4 monitors flicker independently, seldom simultaneously, and I have kept the drivers updated, I drive the P28 monitors with one graphic card and the two Acers with the stock video graphic card. I have two additional computers on my network but the Dell XPS with 4 monitors is the only PC that flickers. Your point regarding a power shortage is a great thought. Would you suggest I disconnect the internal PS or parallel an additional PS? Can you recommend a PS? Honestly I cant recall when this PC starting flickering. I set this system up with 4 monitors from the onset. My windows OS is up to date and I run malware and virus software. Thank you again

The 4 monitors flicker independently
    That does not suggest power to me but since everything inside your computer depends on good, clean stable power, it is best to verify you are providing it.

I don't recommend running with two PSUs unless you really know what you are doing. The problem with using two supplies to share the load is the "difference in potential" with the voltages and grounds through the different supplies. Neither supply will output exactly +12.0, +5.0 or +3.30V and neither will provide the exact same 0Ω path to Earth ground. These differences can cause stability problems, interference or other issues. It is just better to power all connected devices from one source.

I cannot recommend a supply because I don't know your full specs. I recommend you use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years. This might include extra hard drives, a bigger video card, more RAM, etc. I recommend setting Computer Utilization to 16 hours per day and CPU Utilization to 100%. These steps adjust for capacitor aging and ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation. These steps also add a little buffer for unplanned future upgrades or added hardware demands.

You might also try running with just two monitors off one card at a time to see what happens.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

More good thoughts.....i will unplug a couple monitors, 1 24 and 1, 28 and see if the problem goes away. If so i believe your PS suggestion is my next target. I agree that i need to plan for new or more hardware and upgrade with a right sized PS. Ill keep you in the loop if you dont mind.

You may have to disable one of your cards - simply unplugging may not be a good test.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────