Default Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Hi,

I am getting crashes while playing a particular PC game, which is not known for it's stability, but I'm running out of ideas having tried a few Nvidia and gaming forums, and the developers help as well.
    The game is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - https://www.pubg.com/

My PC:
    MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (LGA1151)
    GFX - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    CPU - Intel Core i7-8700K 3.70GHz
    RAM - 2x8GB pair

The game will suddenly hang without warning and then crash to desktop. It recognises the crash and offers to upload a crash log, and then I can reboot. In windows event viewer it shows only the one message:
    "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
    I play with a group of friends and 2 of us have these fairly regular crashes, and the others do not.
    Once a crash has occured, it seems to become more and more likely in any session that another crash will reoccur a few minutes after re-launching.

The cooling does not seem to be the problem - the max temperature I've logged is 71C for the GPU (which is fan cooled) and lower for the CPU (which is water cooled). I have really cut back on the apps that are booting and running, and certainly there is nothing else using the graphics. I do use 2 monitors but having 1 unplugged has not made any differenece. I have tried rolling back to many different versions of the Nvidia graphics drivers with no discernible difference.

Let me know if there is some kind of logger I can run that might be useful, or even the PUBG crash logs themselves.

Thanks for any further suggestions.

If the computer runs fine otherwise, and this problem is only occurring with this one game, and you see this same problem on another computer, I sure would not assume the problem is with this computer. It is much more likely the problem is with the game, or the NVIDIA driver.

I suggest you post your concerns on your game's website and don't mess with your computer. It seems to be working fine.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Yes that is what is so infuriating, is that this has been happening for a long time with many updates to the game, but no change in this circumstance for me, and most of the people I play with do not experience this issue. I have not had much joy with the official game support who I have already contacted. I will try them again though, its been a couple of months since the last time.

Good luck.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────