Default C: drive is almost full

My c: drive shows only 3.34Gb free out of a total of 463Gb. I have no idea how this happened or what is taking up almost 460Gb of hard drive space. I am using a Dell Inspiron 17-5759 running Win 7 64 bit. The c: drive is a partition on a 1Tb drive. Any help would be appreciated!

Hey putts hows it going....

Might want to download this program
    https://windirstat.net/

The downloads on the left it's going to be hard to get use to it. Fool around with it and see what you can see.

Thanks
    zep

Hi zep. Thanks for pointing me to windirstat. I installed the program & ran the Select Drives Dialog. But I'm unsure of where to go from there. I don't know which cleanups I should use. The Select Drive Dialog results show Windows using 43%; Files using 26%; everything else is <10% each. So nothing jumps out at me because something is using ~99% of the c: drive. I'm not sure which Cleanup to use. My c: drive is backed up but I don't want to put myself in danger of having to restore it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Putts

I'm not looking to clean up, I just want to see what's taking up all the space. I thought the program might show more then that or be more informative.

I'm wondering if there's another program we could try,, I'll look around and let you know if I come up with anything.

My first thoughts are to empty the recycle bin , clear temp files, and defrag.

Here's the bleeping computer link for TFC (Temp file cleaner)
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

Go ahead an run that.

zep
    Last edited by zep516; 09-12-2019 at 03:25 PM.

zep:

I wanted to let you know I haven't had a chance to get back to this problem due a health problem. I have afib (irregular heartbeat) which makes me very fatigued and very short of breath. The docs have tried various things & I am preparing to have a cardiac ablation next week. This is where they use a cryoprobe to scar my heart's atria to hopefully stop the electrical signals causing the afib. So I have been having tests done & have seen 3 different doctors. Then next Weds they do the procedure. My concentration has been on getting ready so I haven't accomplished much else. But I didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you & will get back to working on my computer problem as soon as I can. Wish me luck.

Putts

I do wish you luck putts an god bless.

zep

Quote Originally Posted by Putts View Post
    zep:

I wanted to let you know I haven't had a chance to get back to this problem due a health problem. I have afib (irregular heartbeat) which makes me very fatigued and very short of breath. The docs have tried various things & I am preparing to have a cardiac ablation next week. This is where they use a cryoprobe to scar my heart's atria to hopefully stop the electrical signals causing the afib. So I have been having tests done & have seen 3 different doctors. Then next Weds they do the procedure. My concentration has been on getting ready so I haven't accomplished much else. But I didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you & will get back to working on my computer problem as soon as I can. Wish me luck.

Putts
    Hi Putts. Good to see you!

I live with persistent AFib myself that is controlled by medications. My thoughts will be with you......
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"