When cable was installed on my computer instead of dial-up My Rewriter and Regular CD-Rom failed to work. I called the company that installed the cable and they said their product has nothing to do with my CD-Rom not working. In the beginning when my computer boots up it looks for IDE drives and detects that my CD-Roms are there! But when I put a CD in and go to my computer the icons for my cd-roms are not what they're suppose to be. THey look just like the icon for my hard drive. THen when I double click on one of them I get and error message. Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this problem because I need them for something very important!!! Thank you

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The problem IS with the cable installation as they would have installed a cable card.
    If it worked before but not after they installed cable then demand they fix it.
    After any tech fiddles with a system they should run the computer and make sure everything works.
    Alternative unplug the drive and boot up.
    Reinstall the drive and boot up again. This should allow Windows to autodetect the drive and correct any conflicts that may be occuring

you may want to check the cables/ribbons in the case. you'd be supprised at how many times a cable is knocked off or just loos enoufg to make a peice of hardware not work.