Thread: Internet

I am concerned about internet dumping and I was wondering if anyone could give me a detailed description like whether you can still be charged after you leave a site.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

if you are refering to a pay per minute site then charges can only occur while logged in to that site.
    A warning! Many sites like this, especially adult sites, are located in remote countries and are prone to fraudulantly deduct fees from credit cards.
    If you are being charged for services you are not using advise your credit card company or cancell the card.

But could you explain more how it works like how your connection is changed

When you log onto a pay site it records that you have logged on and uses a timing bot to bill for the time spent on that site.
    One other nasty way is that some sites actually alter you dialup number so when you connect to the net you are doing it via a 1900 or prime cost exchnage, many which are located in foreign lands.
    The safeguard against this is to delete the Dial Up Network and reinstall it.
    Call your phone compnay. They will have a record if such numbers are beind dialed and can guide you on how to fix it.
    My personal view is avoid any pay per site unless it is a fixed amount. ie $XX.00 per week/month or year.
    Always check your credit card statement.
    An alternative is to use PayPal. This is an online account where you transfer an amount to paypal and use that account when paying for goods online. This way you can control access to funds.

Is it possible for me to be charged after I leave a site.

what if I never became a member. Is there any way I could be charged if I never became a member.

Large reputable e-business sites offer secure transactions.
    If someone has used your credit card to purchase anything then the credit card company is obliged to proove it was you or refund the charge.

Could you please answer my last question