Every time I boot or reboot my computer, it has to boot two times, including opening Windows twice (Win98). The first time, Windows opens, after a couple minutes of loading, but stops after making the "I'm Windows and I'm starting" noise. After waiting a while, I hit CtrlAltDel and bring up the Task Manager, which only has 4 items (including Explorer, Rnaapp, and a couple other things, at least one of which is, I believe, associated with my Audigy Platinum sound card or with its PlayCenter program). Nothing ever claims to be not responding, but nothing's happening either (the taskbar and desktop icons never appear), so I hit CtrlAltDel again to restart it. This second time around, it always does bring up the taskbar and desktop, along with the PlayCenter, which is invariably frozen. I end this task and most things work alright, except after a while (normally when I sign in to MSN), "Msgsrvs32" or something like that stops responding, but everything continues to work ok after I end it. Can anybody tell me what the heck is wrong with this thing??

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The problem seems to be the sound card and the play center software.
    Right click on the task bar , choose properties then Start Menu.
    Clcik remove and scroll down to Start Up. Delete the line associated with the play centre.
    Uninstall the software and remove the sound card.
    If the machine boots ok then the card may be damaged.
    Try replacing the card but only add the drivers, not the accompanied software.
    Here is a comment from a newgroup on this card and XP
    ""The most unstable sound card ever!"
    This card doesn't work under XP. It messes with your IRQ settings and will not work with APCI. Most of the software is bargain based lite versions that you can't even efficiently use. I couldn't get the dolby digital to work with my midiland system either! Creative refuses to update drivers for any of its Audigy Cards. Check around at some creative newsgroups and you will understand what we are talking about!"