OK, I really need some help. I have a dell dimension 4300. It came with 128MB and a while back I added another stick of 256MB. It worked fine. I now want to replace the original 128MB with another 256MB. This new stick of 256MB is double-sided. I put the one-sided stick in bank 0 and the double-sided in bank 1. The computer didn't boot, monitor didn't turn on. I swithced the sticks in the diferent banks. Nothing. I went back to the 128MB and 256MB config and it booted up fine. It even booted up fine with just the older 256MB. They're all PC133. I'm under the impression that the mixing of single and double sided is OK. Is this newer stick of double-sided 256MB just bad or am I missing something. Someone please help!!!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You must only use the type of ram recommended by the mother board manufacturer.
    Rarely can differnt types of ram be mixed

As far as I can tell the RAM is compatible with the motherboard. The RAM causing the problem is "256MB PC133 SDRAM DIMM 3.3V 32x64 NonBuffered, NonECC, Un-Registered, 16X8, SDRAM, 7.5ns, Non-Parity DIMM.

the other RAM needs to be 16x8 as well

but what i would do if i were you is just trade in the two sticks you have.. go to the store find RAM that matchs your board and buy two of the same kind to install in your comp