When I turn on my computer, it says: disk boot failure, please enter system disk then press enter, and it won't let me start my computer, what should I do?

boot up with a windows boot disc and run windows in Save mode. some things that can cause this are bad partions, infected or defected system files causeing the computer to not be able to boot ( viruses ) or maybe your HD is lose, a cable came unpluged, etc.

I have tried that, but it will not let me start windows at all. I can't get into safe mode, normal, ms dos or any of the other modes. Once in a great while the computer will start up, but most of the time it won't. It says something about making a partitioning file because it is missing, but when I try to partition it says that there is already one? Now what?

PS: thanks for the help

I am having the same problem. I can't format. It says format terminated. Any help?? I sure would appreciate it...

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This means the system files are corrupt.
    Boot up with a Windows Start Up disk and at the A: prompt type "sys c:" (Without the quotes)

Thanks Whoozi..I am new to this forum stuff. I am reall impressed with all the information I am getting. This is wonderful for all of us newbies..I am going to try as you say with the sysc: hopefully that will work. I have a problem shutting down the computer and re-starting it up the next morning. I won't restart. Says all these failures and can't find hard drive. Do you think the battery is gone? Runs great after going into cmos and putting it back on auto detect. Just can't shut down. It islike it isn't saving my changes on the auto detect. Battery?
    Thanks a ton

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It sounds like your cmos is loosing its information. cmos stores your hard disk information so it know where to go when booting. If the battery gets low cmost forgets where to go. These batteries last a long time and very seldom have to be replaced. One real clue is look at the time. If the time is off it very well could be the battery. Shutting down however is a different matter. Most shutdown problems are cause by start up programs not closing correctly. Go to start/run type msconfig and press enter. Go to startup programs uncheck all the programs except explorer and systrey. Shutdown and if it shutdown properly. reboot and check each startup program one by one until you find the culprit. Try to get a copy of Smart Computing "Troubleshooting Windows" issue 6 vol 8. This has a wealth of information the novice can apply to fix his/her computer. (including shutdown problems.)