I have a Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI on Win98. Just recently my computer screwed up in that it's screen size and color was altered and it could not play sound. I got the color and size fixed, but not the sound issue. After grueling effort, the software and hardware has been reinstalled and recognized by the computer, but still no sound. When looking in the Control Panel, in Multimedia, under Devices and Audio Devices for the properties of my soundcard, it says the driver is enabled but inactive due to unknown problems. Can anyone offer any suggestions, or do ya'll need some more info first?

Here's an update of what the system has:
    The sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 PCI
    19GB capacity, 8.09GB used, 10.9 free
    I'm not sure what kind/brand harddrive it is, because the computer is mine neccesarily.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the card doesn't seem to work. Nor did even taking it out physically and putting it back in. The only option evident at this point is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows, something that shouldn't have to be done as this problem has come up before, but we don't remember how we fixed it the first time.

And could this be caused by a virus? It started few days after the computer was defragmented. The original problems were:
    A) No sound
    B) Screen color and size were altered (from High Color 16 bit to simple 16 color and from 800x600 to 640x480)
    C)Internet Explorer was changed in it's display options:
    1) The Search sidebar appeared in every newly opened window.
    2)A Links bar appeared in the toolbar
    3)Yahoo companion disappeared from the toolbar (in fact, from the whole computer it seems. I can't find it to replace it without reinstalling it)

As you can see, these were some pain in the ass changes to fix. Since I and person who bought this computer are the only two who use it, it wasn't merely a matter of somebody changeing the customizations on it. We don't know what happened. Can anyone out there in cyberland lend a helping hand?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It sound very much like you have been hacked or some physical damage had been done to your system.
    You say you have fixed the resolution problem but not the sound.
    Reinstall windows as the sound/volume controls may be corrupt.
    If you have installed any of the following download and run adaware from http://www.lavasoft.com
    Kazaa
    Bearshare
    Limewire
    Any P2P program
    Real Player
    Any download manager
    Any free program at all.
    Many of these contain spyware and can cause major problems with systems. Adaware will rid your system of them.