I think the computer I am using needs a new batteryon the motherboard...can anyone share how this is done/?
    thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The location of the battery differs with each motherboard. Some are easy to get to some aren't.
    IMPORTANT: One the battery is removed the CMOS settings will be lost so follow the following directions. Read all these directions first.
    Turn off the computer, unplug it, and remove the case.
    Remove the old battery. Record which end faced what direction. Each end has a + or -- on it. With skill and dexterity, the battery should snap out. Just study it, and you'll figure out how to get it out. Don't force it, though. It may be soldered in. If its a new board, you may only need to move a prong to take the battery out. Many newer boards have a small, flat coin-shaped battery which is a lot easier to remove.
    Get a replacement battery. Take the old one to the store and match them up. It should be pretty easy to come by. Once you find the correct battery model, you may want to write it down somewhere.
    Put the new battery in. Make sure the + and -- face the same way as before. It should snap in. If your experienced at soldering, and your computer demands this, you may want to do that yourself.
    Put the case back on and plug it in. When you turn it on, expect some type of error message like incorrect cmos. Don't cry. This will happen. You just need to go into the CMOS and plug in all that info that you recorded before you started. If you didn't do that, you'll need to break out the manuals and find the info the hard way.
    You can record your cmos settings by either printing out each page
    ( You will need a printer or you can write all details down on paper
    You enter the CMOS settings by pressing F1 at startup (hold down F1 untill you hear some beeps) and then release the F1 button
    A few seconds later your CMOS settings menu will appear
    Simply visit each page of the CMOS and press print screen key to capture each page to the printer.
    Alternatively you can use a utitity such as Norton utilities or preferably PC Tools and save the settings to a floppy.

thank you very much, I will try it. First I have to find out if my cmos is correct. I am hoping by some chance that the cmos is set wrong and that is what my problem is. This all started with the cable co. I got for my high speed. I thought I had a virus (which I very well could of) anyway I reformated and Ihave had nothing but problems. The problem I have now is that I reformatted, and when I did it couldn't find my hard drive. I went into cmos and set it for auto decet.It works great but when I shut down for the night and restart in the A.M. it can't find the hard drive again. That is why I am thinking battery dead??? My computer seems to have aproblem saving the auto dectect. Thanks