I would likeinformation on how to build your own computer. I don't quite understand address like irq 1 and so on..I don't quite undertand the com 1 and port 1..Is this allneeded to build your own computer. Especially jumpers..very confusing..is there a place on the web that explains all these tech questions in common english??
    Thanks

Sheba, after building a dozen computers, I find that a good old text on computer building and maintenace, and the information contained in the manual for your motherboard, are far better then trying to use a website. For specific question, yes, websites such as this can be a big assistance, but have ready reference to a good, written, computer guide is muc more convenient. Check out your local Barnes&Noble or try amazon.com. Good luck!!

Thanks, just went to amazon and found a book to build computers for dummies...that should fit LOL....
    Have a Great Day!!

Eh, you really dont need to kno how to set the com and irq ports, all you need to kno how to do is install an OS everything else is basically just "plug and play" i mean even the jumpers have things writen on them to tell you were they go

Thanks, but that is my most confusing thing...those darn jumpers...I just don't get it..are there jumpers on both the hard drive and motherboard? Is that what everyone is talking about making sure the jumpers are correct?? I see the jumpers on the back of a hard drive I have here, but what do I match them to?? I see the diagram on the hard drive itself and the jumpers on the hard drive with the pins, if they are set the same as the diagram on the hard drive, then am I all set. I wish there was something on the net I could read to understand about jumpers...it is driving me nuts...must be important..it keeps coming up
    Thanks

The manufacturers web site is the best place. http://www.maxtor.com, http://www.wd.com, etc

the jumpers on the back of your harddrive mean are there for you to set the driver as slave, master, and i think the third one is stand alone ? anyway your hard drive should be set to master, and if possible on its on IDE channel

IDE ports are the longer ports on the motherboard normally to the side, on the board itself in small print it should say IDE 1 and IDE 2, the ribben cable from your hard drive ( set as master) should be plugged into the one that says IDE 1 and your CD rom should be plugged into the one the one that says IDE 2, now your floppy cable should plug into its own little port ( i forget the name of it ) its a bit smaller then the IDE ports.

Your sound card, network card ( if needed ), and anyother hardware you have should be plugged into any empty PCI slots, your video card should be in the AGP slot ( most new cards come in AGP style ) blah blah blahh, as for the jumpers on the mother board you only need to worry about the ones to the far cornor ( there should be 1 long row of them, maybe 2 rows ) next to the ping on the board itself it should tell you what needs to be plugged in there (example being "HD lite" this is were you plug in the wire coming from the front side of the case to show and "active" light on the front of your case when the HD is being used ) hmm i could explain more but im hungry and the phone keeps ringing so see ya

Well, thank you very much, I was enjoying that information very much. When you get more time and if you feel like it please continue. You must be very good at all this!! I will have to take a computer apart and see all this you are talking about on the motherboard. Do you know how to tellif your battery is going on the motherboard? I have a computer right now I am having a terrible time getting going and stay going. I am wondering if it might not be the battery. When I turn it on I have to go into CMOS to reset the computer to auto detect. Then if I should turn it off sau in the P.M.and I turn it back on say in the A.M.
    I have to go back into CMOS againto reset to auto decect. It doesn't seem to be saving the settings in CMOS. Battery??? I tried a new hard drive and that is where I came into all these problems. Thought it was that and I got a bigger hard drive and now I have all these problems. I think I am in EZ BIOS and I think I might of really messed up...any help??? Can you get out of EZ Bios???

Hi Sheba. Those are certainly classic signs that your CMOS (motherboard) battery needs replacing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qualserve on 2002-09-01 23:18 ]</font>

Thanks, I guess that will be my next step is to replace that...will let ya know