hi,

one of the computers i have at home (part of a network )has been rebooting itself a lot lately for no apparent reason; it has happened to me when i m in ie (most often) and sometimes in word and outlook express.

The os is window 2000 pro. Can you show me how or where i can start to debug this?

i looked at the event viewer and didnt see any error messages but evertime it crashed, it gave an info save dump message

Thanks very much!!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Win2k, by default, will reboot when your system encounters a blue screen of death. To turn this off, right click on 'my computer', select the 'advanced' tab, and click on the 'startup and recovery' button. This will pop up another window that should have a checkbox (which will be checked) titled 'automatically reboot'. Uncheck this box and your computer shouldn't be rebooting by itself anymore.
    Another problem could be the power managment, particularly win 2000's Turn all power mangement tools off.

thank u.

i did learn about disabling the reboot feature yesterday; so which log can i go to in order to find out what caused the blue screen of death and fix it?