Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I uninstalled a Compaq printer after installing a Lexmark X63 printer. Now everytime I boot my computer I get the error, "printray.dll not found". Anyone know if this will cause my problems or how to fix this? My new printer is working fine by the way!

Denise

you could install the canon printer again and see if that solves it.

remember you can have more than 1 printer inatlled at the same time just set the default prineter (the one you want to use).
    and you can always change what prinetr you want to use when printing something.
    Visit my Website at:
    www.10.2ya.com

sellam@erols.com

Default printray.dll

Since it appeared after start-up, Drive A rejects the hp and lexmark software disks. (I deleted all printers from Settings to try to fix it. No luck yet). John Lenkey

Hi

It looks like you still have a run key in the registry, which is looking for printray.dll

When you uninstalled the printer the printray.dll file will have been removed, but not the run key...therefore the run key is looking to run a file which is no longer there...giving you the error.

3 ways to solve this

1. run regedit and delete the run key

2. untick the entry in msconfig

3. use hijackthis to "fix" (remove) the run key

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Default printray.dll not found

I'm having this same problem. The advice to go into the registry file was good, but not detailed enough! Same with the msconfig tip. Once there, what are the steps, where's the run file. Please a step-by-step would be helpful for this novice in this area of arcan computerology!

I know this was based on an old post, but I hold out hope this can still be of help.

BK

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The easiest one to try first is to go to Start>Run>type in msconfig>Startup Tab. Scroll down the list and see if you come accross printray or a compaq print entry. Uncheck the box on that line>OK. It will then ask to restart the pc .. do so. When windows reopens, there will be a Configure window, check the box that says something to the effect 'do not show this message again'. Hopefully this will do the trick, if not, or you're not sure of the entries in the startup, let us know. Keep us updated.

I recommend you use this little program to disable the startup entry rather than using msconfig, see link below.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Nice one Bear.

Thanks Canuck
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Hopefully this will do the trick, if not, or you're not sure of the entries in the startup, let us know. Keep us updated.
    To clarify, I'm using an HP Deskjet 340 and an Epson Photo 1270 printer. Neither one will print. I'm only focusing on the HP 340. Both printers receive the "Test Printer" command, but it's garbled, and the page (on the HP 340) doesn't get the return to move the paper forward. It does stay in one position and prints over & over on the same line. The Epson does a little better, as the paper moves forward, but I get garbage printing & the carriage uses the full width of the page, although the paper is the standard width.
    This is just to paint a fuller picture of what's occuring.

I went into msconfig & disabled the only printer which was listed, the Epson. Upon reboot I get the "You're using the Selective Startup" message, then the box with the message "One or more components from your tools is disabled or missing. Do you want to fix the missing or disabled components." I select yes, but I continue to have the problem.

I will try "Bear's" link and see what happens.

Thx,

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast