Thread: Athlon XP Heat

Hi, everybody. My question concerns CPU heat. I have an Athlon 1800XP, currently running WinME. (was running WinPro2000, and WinXP...but that is a different story) :smile: Anyway, my MB reports a CPU temp of 51C. This was finally arrived at after trying 3 different Heat Sinks and Fans. I have seen reports of these CPUs running in the low 40s, with normal Heat Sinks and fans. In other words....no water coolers. HOW do you get the temperature that low??? Thank you.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I would not believe many of the figures you read. They are probably based on the CPU running a limited amount of software at one time.
    The problem with AMD chips is they have been pushed too far using .18 micron technology. (Intel Pent 1V uses .13 micron and consequently runs cooler)
    This is why major businesses use Intel chips

My AMD used to over heat alot but i got an AMD jetcool fan from a computershow and damn does it keep your cpu cool.. its not that loud ither

hey whoozhe i thought the lower the micron the better the proformance? your saying intel kicks amds ass? whaaaaaat

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

CPU speed is not a real indicator of it's performance. Mainly the speed is used as a marketing tool. Intel still has an advantage over AMD when it comes to floating point activity, hence the reason business tend to favour Intel chips. You won't see many servers using AMD chips.