Thread: File Type

I have recently received two email attachments which have a file extension of .art
    I have not been able to open them. The file associations for .art file types is the problem I think. I have tried to open them with Power Point, Kodak Imaging For Windows, and IE without success.
    Can anyone give me an idea regarding how to open these images (what program to use)?

The "art" format is an AOL format. By default AOL compresses "jpg" images to the "art" format. Try right clicking on the image; then on the menu choose "open with" and see if it will open with an image program that you have. I recently downloaded and installed "irfanview" (that BTW was recommended by whoozhe) and it has proven to be an excellent program. It is free and opens virtually all kinds files...graphics, audio files, mpeg, etc. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

AOL's ART format is useless.
    In AOL there is an option that can turn it off. In the latest version Click on:
    - Members
    - Preferences
    - Web Graphics
    Turn off Compress Graphics

ART is a compression format and tries to compress files that are alreaddy compressed (eg jpg)