Strange: I created extremely deep nested Directories under windows xp, but I can't remove them - the system tells me "file doesn't exist", even though it appears in the explorer with filename, filesize etc. I can even create a new file with the same name (haha!); but only one of the two can be deleted. My drive uses FAT32, Scandisk, chkdsk etc. can't find the problem and report no errors. Oh, I can even move that directory into the garbage can, but even there it can't be deleted.
    Any suggestions anyone? :smile: This is a really spooky one! Is there any tool to fix that?
    Thx for every hint!
    Greets

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

As you have your hard drive formatted to FAT32 boot up using a windows 98 start up disk. At the a: prompt type deltree c:full directory path name (eg c:myfilesdirectorywaydownthetree
    The main problem is the fat you have Win XP running under. XP was designed to use NTFS partitioning not FAT32.
    Generall these problems are the result of the Administration settings. Basically you need to log on as the administrator.