my computer comes up with a lot of this illegial and will shut down, what do I do to stop this
    also to stop windows 98 from freezing up

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Illegal operation messages generall are to do with memory problems.
    Some program is trying to access reserved memory.
    The main culptits are file sharing and other free programs that dump spyware on a system. Kazaa, bear share and the world's worse Real Player are some that do this.
    Download and run adaware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    If this fails reinstall windows.

memory can be the problem but there are many other reasons. run msconfig and and disable startup programs (except for explorer and sys tray). if this works bring back each program individually untily the culprit is found. Norton's System Works has an excellant program for cleaning out the registry of un connected programs and memory checker. Make sure you cpu fan is running. Get a firewall for the internet. If you have to reinstall windows do it from within windows so as not to distory all driver settings etc. Reinstall windows from dos as a last resort and make sure you have all drivers and programs. back up all important data files

geraldsharon@juno.com

Yes! Norton System Works!!! good luck, I'd sooner stand on a nail.
    On 2002-09-06 20:18, Anonymous wrote:
    memory can be the problem but there are many other reasons. run msconfig and and disable startup programs (except for explorer and sys tray). if this works bring back each program individually untily the culprit is found. Norton's System Works has an excellant program for cleaning out the registry of un connected programs and memory checker. Make sure you cpu fan is running. Get a firewall for the internet. If you have to reinstall windows do it from within windows so as not to distory all driver settings etc. Reinstall windows from dos as a last resort and make sure you have all drivers and programs. back up all important data files

geraldsharon@juno.com

I have to agree about Norton System works. It is so good the price for the entire suite has dropped from $300 to $30.
    Windows works perfectly, on it's own. It is the software we throw at it that causes problems and believe me when I say there is not many pieces of software that do not cause some sort of problem.
    When any problem reoccurs often usually the only solution is bite the bullet and reformat the drive giving you a fresh start.

Windows does not work perfectly. If it did we wouldn't have this forum. To see nasty unfounded remarks and advice from people who don't know what ther talking about helps nobody. I see answers from whooze on every question on this forem. I have a bs in computer science and 30 years in the business, thousands of dollars in test equipment and I still don't have all the answers but I don't pretend I do.

geraldsharon@juno.com

This forum is run by and for enthusiasts trying to help each others. No one claims to be an expert. We just try.
    Every answer may not be correct but hopefully it leads people to find an answer.