I was thinking of trying this one --

Wincelerator v2.0 is the revolutionary software program that boosts your Internet browsing by up to 300%! Wincelerator v2.0 optimizes dial-up Internet connections, DSL and even high-speed connections!!

sounds like bullshit to me but i never tried them..

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Nope. Most are loaded with spyware in anycase.
    Net speed is determined by two factors. Your connection and the speed of any server you may pass through on the net.

The theory behind acellerators is to compress data so as to send more data in the same space. It sounds nice but the speed increases are marginal at best. Your phone line is the killer. Even if you have 56k modem your connect speed is probabley much less. my computer connects at 26400 and the download is very slow. My busines computer(3 miles away) connects 48000 and downloads pretty quickly. Direct connects are the only fast internet connection (roadrunner, dhl etc).

geraldsharon@juno.com

One thing they can be OK for is if they come with a "resume" function. This means if you need to stop half way through a download or you get a powercut then you can go back to where you left off at a later point. The negative side is the spyware & adware that most "free" ones have. As for the claims about increased speed, this amounts to nothing less than pure lies in my opinion.

"resume" is a function of the web site...not the accellator. The accellerator will display if the web site supports "resume"........most do.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

There seems to be cnfusion here.
    An accelorator is software that tweaks the dial up and modem settings. The most common tweak is adjusting the packet size of downloads. Mostly these make very little difference.
    A download manager assists in downloading files. Most have extra functions like resume and in some cases they split the file isto smaller segments allowing faster transfers.
    A good, and ad/spyware free downloader is Download Express from http://www.metaproducts.com