Thread: Disk Quotas

i dont kno if i posted about this before but if i have i forgot, so could someone explain to me a little bit about disk quotas

disk quotas in XP pro

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Disk quotas overview
    Disk quotas track and control disk space usage for volumes System administrators can configure Windows to:

Prevent further disk space use and log an event when a user exceeds a specified disk space limit.
    Log an event when a user exceeds a specified disk space warning level.
    When you enable disk quotas, you can set two values: the disk quota limit and the disk quota warning level. The limit specifies the amount of disk space a user is allowed to use. The warning level specifies the point at which a user is nearing his or her quota limit. For example, you can set a user's disk quota limit to 50 megabytes (MB), and the disk quota warning level to 45 MB. In this case, the user can store no more than 50 MB of files on the volume. If the user stores more than 45 MB of files on the volume, you can have the disk quota system log a system event. For instructions on setting disk quota values, see To assign default quota values

You can specify that users can exceed their quota limit. Enabling quotas and not limiting disk space use are useful when you do not want to deny users access to a volume, but want to track disk space use on a per-user basis. You can also specify whether or not to log an event when users exceed either their quota warning level or their quota limit.

When you enable disk quotas for a volume, volume usage is automatically tracked for new users from that point on. However, existing volume users have no disk quotas applied to them. You can apply disk quotas to existing volume users by adding new quota entries in the Quota Entries window. For instructions, see To add new disk quota entries

You can enable quotas on both local volumes and network volumes, but only on those volumes that are shared from the volume's root directory and are formatted with the NTFS file system.

Note

To support disk quotas, a disk volume must be formatted with the version of NTFS used in Windows 2000. Volumes formatted with the version of NTFS used in Windows NT 4.0 are upgraded automatically by Windows 2000 Setup.
    To administer quotas on a volume, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the computer where the drive resides.
    If the volume is not NTFS formatted, or if you are not a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, the Quota tab is not displayed on the volume's Properties page.
    File compression does not affect quota statistics. For example, if User A is limited to 3 MB of disk space, he or she can store only 3 MB worth of files, even if the files are compressed.

sounds like a cool idea to me. thanks