I have Windows ME and I've been getting a warning message when my pc boots up. It says I have a "stack" problem, that I currently have 5 SPs allocated, and to increase the settings of MinSPs in SYSTEM.INI to prevent a possible problem.
    When I went into SYSTEM.INI I saw a bunch of items with boxes next to them and checkmarks in the boxes. However, none of the items had anything about SPs or MinSPs.
    So what is Windows talking about and how do I find the SPs and fix them, anyway?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Have a read of Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q274646 at http://www.microsoft.com

a "stack" is an area of memory set aside as storage for the interrupt controller. Most systems do not need to set any space for this since windows does all the work. I don't know how old your system is but if your system memory is using simms or older you may be overloading your system with ME.
    if this is not the case do the following
    1. check your congfig.sys file to make sure no stack allocations are there. Unless there is a spacific program requirement(device) your config file should be empty.
    2. check your autoexec.bat This to is usually empty except for any dos required program.
    3. pull your memory and have it checked out or get a program that checks memory (nortons utilities is a good bet).
    How much memory do you have? I would not run ME with anything less than 64 megs and preferabley 128.
    4. Check you bios and look for anything to do with memory allocation(i don't know of any off hand)
    5 Try to remember when this happen. Maybe some program you loaded is the culprit (doubtful)
    6. Goto Microsofts web page and see if anybody else has/had this problem
    7. reload ME (in windows mode)
    You should not have to set stacks.

geraldsharon@juno.com