this problem is on our'second' computer-old('made in '95) & is mainly used for games,anyway after making a start up disk from our main computer i'm at a level where i get the following:'scandisk encounted a data error reading the fat on drive c' & scandisk encounted a data error reading mdbpb on drive c &volume file c:drvspace.ooo still contains errors.that obviously means absolutely o to me so i'd appreciate any help i can get out there.it runs on win.'95 if that means anything

It appears you hard drive is failing. The fat(file allocation table) can't read where some of the files are. This is not good.
    You can try reformatting the hard drive and reentering all you programs but if the drive if failing this won't work. the bottom line is the computer is old and tired. I suggest you let it retire. The expense of repair will be unjustifiable.

geraldsharon@juno.com

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Windows 95 runs on Fat16. Windows 98 on fat32 therefore the Win98 startup disk will not recognize the win95 petition.
    It also appears that the drive may have been comressed using drive space. Again a startup disk will not recognize the petition.
    As suggested reformat the drive and start afresh.

fat 16 and 32 are disk formatting options. fat 16 can only format 2 gigs where 32 can format the whole drive. neither has anything to do with windows. My drive is fat 16 separated in 4 section (c,d,e,f). In drive c I run win 98 with no problems. fdisk will recognize any fat and display your patitions.