i have bought this program. i have a midi keyboard connected. i cannot get the midi signal through to the cubasis program in order to compose.has anyone got a similar set up and could talk me through the connections?

Basically midi information is information about the notes being played, plus performance variables. This information can be sent to the synthesizer on your soundcard, external synths (through the midi out on your soundcard) or virtual instruments inside cubase. So effectively the midi information just takes the place of the performer.

So consequently you have to record the audio output from these synths/instruments in the same way as you would from a vocalist or guitarist. How you do this will depend on the source.

For external synths, connect the line output of your synth to the line input on your soundcard. Select an appropriate track in cubase and record.

How you record the output of the synth on your soundcard will vary between different models. If you are using a soundblaster/audigy, you need to go to the recording setup window and select 'what you hear' as the recording source. In cubase select an audio track you wish to record to. Mute all the tracks apart from the aformentioned audio track and the associated midi track. Record.

For virtual instruments. Mute all the tracks apart from the appropriate midi track. Select export audio from the drop down menu. Tick the necessary boxes and set the appropriate sample/bit rate etc, then create the file.

You also use this method to create a final stereo track from all the other audio tracks which you can subsequently burn.

If you don't understand any of this visit http://www.steinberg.net or read the Cubase set-up manual :smile:

All New NetCulture FORUM! Please help me build my Forum!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonollie on 2002-09-08 08:27 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonollie on 2002-09-08 08:30 ]</font>