Need help with my Cd-r Drive....My Cd-r drive used to work and now all of a sudden it stop reading all types of Cds. I cant even burn a cd. Heck it wont read a thing..I first tried re-installing the drivers, then I made sure all the connections were Ok....Does any one know whats wrong with my drive??...Its an Acer CDRW 20x10x40 drive and my computer is running Window 2000 pro..All i want to do is to be able to read and burn Cds again...Please Help..

Hi,
    Dear , Did you try cleaning lense of your writer? Cleaning will solve your problem

I tried using a Cd Cleaner Kit and it still doesnt work. I also tried a blowing out the inside with a can of air and i still recieve the same problems.

I assume this was working ok before. you can check you cables to see if they are tight but I doubt that is your problem. The fact of the matter is cd-roms go bad..they get out of alighnment. to make matters worse they are economically unjustifiable for repair. Check your warranty. You most likely need a new cd-rom. I don't know how many cd-roms you have but I suggest a minimum of 2 installed....1 for daily use and 1 writable for copying only. Some of these older cd-roms are cheap today. try justdeals.com and compgeeks.com

JL

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

CD drives are sensitive creatures One bump and the alignment is put out. I beleive this is what has happened here.
    Before panicking (do that later) remove the drive completely and reboot the computer. Replace the drive and hope that Windows recognizes it and it works.
    If this fails and as you have tried everything I suggest you take it to a technician who can test the alignment. If it is out it would be cheaper to replace the drive than repair it.

bj

CD and DVD players sometimes won't read discs. Clean the lens, with CD-ROM drives remove the top cover and very gently clean the lens with a Q-tip and some alcohol.

I recently saw an ad for Disc Doctor on the Net, it's a tool for cleaning and restoring Discs. Has anyone tried it?

Disk docotor i do believe is a Norton tool, and if im thinkin of the right thing then yes its a good prog, iv used it

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Disk doctor is a tool designed to computer disks not CD's.
    You have tried everything possible to get the drive to work.
    If the drive is under 12 months old use the waranty.
    If not replace it.