My computer's date and time is often wrong. Most of the time it is right, but sometimes it just wacks out. I have seen it ahead by almost a year before, and almost behind by a year also. I can set it back without any problems but for some reason it is wrong sometimes. Is this a virus or a common problem?

1.4Ghz AMD Windows XP 1 GIG RAM Voodoo3 64

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Real time is kept by the system's bios.
    If the settings in the bios are not set to read "accurate time" then the time can be influenced by software.
    If the bios clock has the wrong time this could cause the displayed time to flutuate.
    Access the CMOS settings and in the standard CMOS setup make sure the system clock is set to Accurate Time. You can access cmos settings by holding dow a key during bootup. Most common is holding down the DEL key. Some systems use tyhe ESC, F2, F10, Ctrl esc keys Check you documentation).
    Be careful as fiddling with these settings can render a system unusable.
    Also if your system is over two years old the bios battery may be looing power.

Thank you. I knew something was doing it. I must have something I run every so often that jacks my time/date up. Like I said, it seems to be a random thing. I am going to mess with BIOS and check the battery.