Thread: HDD problem

i've had 2 HDD's for a while now but recently decided to change them about, make the newer, faster, bigger one the master and the old one the slave. i'd been using the new one to store mp3's onto but as i don't know much about this kinda thing yet i didn't format it first.

xp partitioned my 80GB drive and installed itself. now it thinks there's only 31GB on the thing. but at least it works. my old drive's been set up as the slave but there's nowhere i can seem to access this. when i went into drive management it says it's unallocated space. how can i fix this without having to format and start again, losing all my stuff?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You say you swapped the drives around. A mere physical swap will not work.
    The bios settings will still see the drive set up as it was originally.You may need to manually change thse settings.
    You don't explain how you actually did this swapping particularly in regards to which drive XP is installed.

i swapped the jumper settings and the cables then checked in bios and everything seemed ok. it's just that when windows comes up, the only drive that it wants to recognise is the new one, the one i made the master.

xp's on both drives incidently. the 40GB old one originally had 2000 and was updated to xp. the 80GB new one i recently installed xp onto, during which it got partitioned in the installation process and its only allowing me access to 31GB of it. the rest, and the 41GB HDD are displayed as being unallocated space.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: son66 on 2002-09-16 15:05 ]</font>

son66 nothing sounds right to me, especially the part about swapping cables.
    let me ask you
    1. are your 2 drives connected to the the same ide cable? Is the new drive the master and your old drive the slave?
    2. if your didn't reformat your new drive and load your operating system, you must be booting from your second drive? Is this the case. You said your bios reports correctly...? are you sure?
    Some things to remember
    1. don't connect a hard drive and cd-rom together. It usually dosn't work
    2. when adding a hard drive try to keep the mfs the same and same type (5400rpm 7200 rpm etc).
    try this
    boot from a floppy and type dir x: (x repsesetns your drive letters c,d, etc) on each drive and look at total available and used...(files and directories). Are the numbers correct?

If all is ok I don't have an answer

JL

yep. they're both on the same ide cable. but the speeds are different. the new master is the 7200 and the old one is 5200. it's currently booting from a partition in the 7200, but the 5200 also contains a version of windows. i'm sure the bios is right.. but windows says half the space in the 7200 is unallocated because of the partition and also, all of the 5200 is unallocated.. i'm a little confused but hopefully when i get back to uni in 3 days my friend can sort it out. thanks for your help anyway.

Not all mother boards support the large drive size. Check the board out at the manufacturer's site, you may get lucky and there may a flash for the bios. There are also a few applications that will fake it for a board that will not support large size. 31 sounds odd for a limited size though. Good Luck

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Basically you have done most of this fiddling wrong.
    You cannot have two drives that have the same OS unless they are compltely seperate.
    That means having a dual boot system and then only one drive can be accessed at a time.
    Decide which is to be your C: drive with the OS and reformat the second.
    Chances are though that both drives will run at the slowest speed ie 5200.
    Take out the new drive, reset the old to master and plug it into the primary ide connection. Back up what you need. Re install the new drive and throw the old one in the bin.

i'm not trying to have 2 drive's with the same os. it just happened to turn out that way. xp was kept on the old drive as a backup incase things went badly wrong and drivers didn't work or whatever. then i could run off that drive to fix the new one. but hpoefully this week i'll be back at uni and my mate's will be able to fix it up for me. thanks for your help anyway. greatly appreciated.