Thread: Reformatting

Hi, I just purchased a new computer and want to sell my old one. Before I do that, I want to clean all of my files out of the hard drive. I have already copied the files I want to keep, so I just need to know how I go about permanently deleting my personal files. Do I need to reformat something? I would appreciate great detail with this process if available.

Thanks, Staci

The article mentioned is excellant. Just a reminder that having all the drivers is critical. You won't be able to sell the computer if you don'thave sound and marginal video. If you have an hp, compaq etc you may have a "restore" disk...if you do this is your selvation for it will reformat the drive and load all necessary drivers. If you don't... just goto into the control panel and remove your personal programs (don't remove anything your not sure of). If you just want to remove personal files just use explorer and right click on the file and select delete. When through clean out the recycle bin. Why not sell it the way it is?

JL

Thanks for the website, but I think I'm not really looking to reformat the hard drive. I attend a university with a significant computer program and I don't want people searching through my old files if they are still somewhere on the hard drive even after I thought I deleted them. It seems like someone mentioned something about doing something to the registry to permanently delete? Am I mistaken here, is my only option to get the results I'm looking for to reformat the hard drive?

Thanks, Staci

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

When files are deleted from a drive they are not actually removed only thier reference in the FAT is.
    There is software that can securely remove files from a disk.
    There is on such program available at simtel . Go to http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/56148.html