Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have Windows 95 installed on my computer and now I want to instal windows 98 on the same. Can anyone tell me detailed procedure how to do it?

Also in my computer I am not able to find my mouse pointer when i start in my normal mode and in safe mode I could see it. Why is it like that and how to solve this problem.

Please help me out

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You can istall Windows 98 over 95.
    Pop in the windows 98 CD. If you have autostart operative it will begin the sequence. If not click Start>Run brows for the CD drive (usually d) and look for setup.exe.
    Have the Key Number handy.
    You will be given a choice to backup win95 files so if you want to revert back you can easily.

I am not able to instal windows98SE on windows 95. Its giving a message "Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of setup.You need to obtain the windows98 upgrade"(message. SU0168)

what should I do now? I tried number of times but I get the same message.

Can anyone help me out?

There are two versions of W98, the full version & the upgrade version. It sounds like you have the full version which I dont think can be installed over W95 although I could be mistaken (anyone care to confirm out there???).

This being the case you have two options the way I see it. Either buy the upgrade version or bite the bullet and reformat thereby doing a clean install of W98. If it were me I would tend to go for the latter option.

Reformatting isn't as scary as some people make out but if you are not confident then try to get someone who has done it before to help you. The following link was posted previously and gives step by step instructions:
    tech.jmwebdesigns.com/software/expert/reformat.html
    Just remember to back up all important files & programmes as ALL data will be lost.

Good luck!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This has to do with a change that Microsoft made in win95. The later version b was more upgradable to 98.
    The best way to install win98 over 95 is to boot up with a Win95 start up disk.
    Go to http://www.pcmike.com/Tips/bootdisk.htm
    for full instruction on how to make one that will also allow acces to the CD drive.

I tried to boot my computer with boot disk. It is giving the a: prompt. Is it what happens when you try to boot. If so how to go to windows.

If I reformat the drive and insert boot disk what happens? Please let me know if I should use windows 95 boot disk or windows 98 boot disk. can anyone give me step by step instructions. I do not have windows 95 disk too to go back. Please help me out since I do not have much experience in this type of things and want to learn.

Click on the following link for step by step instructions to reformat: http://tech.jmwebdesigns.com/softwar.../reformat.html

Once I reformat how can I instal Windows 98. Can I install using Windows 98 boot disk. After reformatting what are the step by step instructions to load Windows 98? please someone help me? I am desperately hung up.

Did you try clicking on the link above? It pretty much answers all your questions as it gives a detailed guide on the whole process including installation of W98. Its also written in easy to understand plain english (ideal for the newbie). Give it a try but if you still feel you need specifics answered then by all means repost :smile:

Hey,

I have formatted the "c" drive. I tried to load windows 98. At "D" prompt I am typing "setup" the computer says after some time, it failed want to abort, retry, fail. What could be the problem, anyproblem with CD-Rom? Now what to do, please help me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast