I have an old Hewlett Packard. Some time ago, my floppy drive had a small fire. No problem, replaced it. Now the system wont boot "no operating system detected". Entered setup, and Hard drive isn't detected, states "none". Tried changing settings to auto - nothing. Does this definitely mean that the hard drive has been destroyed? Someone suggested downloading a bios exe file, and that would fix it. Would this do the job?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

A fire you say. There could be more damage to other components.
    There is one thing. If your bios is set to check drive A first and you have replaced the floppy did you replace it with a genuine HP floppy drive. The reason is that generic drives may not work in a HP machine.
    Try accessing the CMOS settings and bypass the A: drive in the boot sequence.
    If it works then you can either not have a floppy, pay a small fortune for a HP drive or look around for a used HP one.

Thanks for that. The floppy appears to work fine - I can even run an emergency boot disk from it, which gets me to the A: prompt in DOS. But then, that's as far as I can go. I've tried mounting drive C:, and tried Fdisk - nothing at all, the hard drive just isn't recognised. I'm thinking that the best thing is to replace the hard drive?

Before you buy a hard drive, make sure you need a hard drive. If the "A drive" dosen't register at all, try turning the cabel around (it might be in backwards)Make sure the power is connected correctly (two outer lips pointed downward..computer probably won't boot at all if it isn't) Push down on all ide cabels on the mother board. Boot and check the bios and see if the "A drive" is recognised. If you still have problems disconnect your "A drive." (power & cable) to check the hard drive. Push the cable in the back of the hard drive and make sure it is tight(You could have loosened it when installing the "A drive." also make sure it has power). Boot and go into bios and see if the hard drive registers. If it dosen't get a technician to check both drives out before you buy. (It still could be something else).
    P.S. "a:drives" are pretty standard for all mother boards"

JL