I just bought a new computer and am having some problems transfering data from the old to the new - specifically Quickbooks data and email information (addresses and em messages). A friend copied the data from QB (old sys), I installed QB (same CD as before)on the new sys, but when I try to open or copy the data, I get a message saying the data is from a 'newer version' of QB . . ?? It's the same disc (version) that was on the old computer - don't understand how it could have changed? Also, how do I copy/transfer my email information to the new system? Any help would be appreciated.

First, typically programs will have an "EXPORT" and "IMPORT" function. This is the preferred method to move data from one machine to another. If the file is too big for a floppy (and you don't have a burner or peer to peer connection) you may have to span a number of floppies to make the move. Try Winzip for this (www.winzip.com).
    As far as specifics, without knowing what email program you are using I can't get into much more detail. But again, export and import are the key.
    Good Luck.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Did you ever update any part of QB on the old system such as patches etc.
    Usually there are upgrade patches that are available from time to time so your old version was probably upgraded to a newer version.
    You need to go to the QB site and download any upgrades to bring it in line with the older system.