My CD Burner has recently forgotten what a CD-R is. 3 days ago I started trying to burn an audio CD compilation, but my computer locked up in the middle of the attempt and I had to reboot using the case's reset button. This happened a couple times using different burning programs (Musicmatch Jukebox, then Nero), and now my computer absolutely fails to recognize a blank CD-R when I put it in the drive. It recognizes and properly runs an audio CD-R that it burned a couple months ago, but fails to recognize a data CD-RW that also burned a while back. I have uninstalled and reinstalled its driver, and neither Disc Detector, Nero, nor Windows Explorer is able to handle recordable media. This is an Acer/BenQ 40x12x48 burner, for the record. What's the matter with it, and what can I do to make it work again?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Pull out the drive altogether and reboot.
    Replace the drive and bott up again. Hopefully Windows will recognize it and fix any problems.
    If this fails then the drive may be damaged.
    Stick to nero as your burning software and forget musicmatch. It has a reputation of dumping spyware and a few other nasties on systems.

Default CD burning problems

I have a problem with my burner as well. I go to burn a audio cd in WMP 11, it analyzes the CD-R and prepare's it for burning but when it goes to write the audio to the disk, it says that there's an error. It prompts me to try a different brand of CD-R's or make sure that one is clean but the CD-R's are brand new Maxell and they don't have a scratch on them. I've tried burning the cd's on many different software programs but nothing seems to burn. Does anyone know what to do to fix it?

Start a new post click new topic it gets very confusing any other way thank you. Zep...