This computer has Win98SE and worked fine. It has two 32Mb sticks of memory. I had two unknown sticks as well, so I pulled one and added one to check the values. Each time Win98SE loaded fine. I then reinstalled the original memory stick, so everything was back to normal. However, just out of curiosity I unplugged the floppy disk cable and both IDE cables from the motherboard to see if it would boot straight into the BIOS or what. It started to boot as normal...read the memory, but no hard/floppy/cdrom drives, then that screen went away and a blinking cursor appeared on the the screen(top left)...never did anything after that. Normally it would show the memory, the two hard drives, the cdrom and floppy drives, then screen disappears and Win98SE comes up. Well, I plugged the floppy and IDE cable back into the motherboard, and now it still won't load WIN98SE! It reads the memory, all drives, but just puts a blinking cursor on the screen. Win98SE never starts. PLEASE HELP!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

er the drives are connected to the motherboard IDE. If you disconnect them then there is no way a system can locate the drives.
    Doing that and booting with ide disconnected probably screwed up your bios settings and IDE drivers.
    What were you thinking when you did this.
    The Hard drive holds the software to run the graphics card. No drive no graphics, not OS no nothing except a blank screen with a blinking cursor.
    You have to go back and basically follow the procedure of adding a new motherboard.
    A word on memory. Matched memory sticks work better. In most cased mismatched memory will cause the system to read only the first slot.

So, what procedure do you follow to install a new motherboard? The BIOS reads both hard drives and the floppy drive, but for some reason windows just won't start. WHY???? What else is there to do to 'install a new mobo'? If the BIOS reads the hard drives and floppy drive, shouldn't it read windows and start it? It won't boot from the floppy boot disk either. The floppy drive 'reads' the boot disk, but nothing ever happens, except the lovely blinking cursor. What else do I have to do?

Your motherboard is probabley ok since it was working before you pulled your ide cables. I assume you pulled only from the mother board and not from the drives themselves? If this is the case try switching the ide cables on the board. I think you reversed them. The system is tring to boot from ide 0 when in fact it is now ide 1. These cables must go back exactly correct and in the right direction i.e. the #1 pin on the board matches the #1 pin of your cable(the red line on the side of your cable). All the cables will be going the same direction i.e. the #1 pin will be the same for all 3(2 ide and 1 floppy). Once you have done this go into the bios and check you boot sequence. You want the first boot to be your floppy drive. Make your hard drive the second(ide 0 or it could be ide1 if they don't use 0.). Insert you startup disk in drive a. save and exit bios. You shoud boot from drive a:. If it dosen't boot turn the floppy cable around in the mother board...try again. It should boot. see where the red line is pointing in the floppy...make sure the other ide cables are pointing the same direction. Take out the disk and boot. You should go into your operating system. If you don't you still have the ide cables crossed.

JL

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar