i have a computer network at home, and in the last couple of days, it's been taking a very very long time to move files between computers, specifically from/to 1 computer; what causes that? that has happened sporadically before but it went away and i never did know how to fix it or know what was going on with it.

Thanks.

Also, an unrelated question ; i have seen different sofwares that are supposed to find files on the computer real fast, i.e. dtsearch desktop, findit pro, etc...; doesnt windows have that feature? i mean, what makes them better than the regular search feature in windows?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I can't answer the first question as I would need more details such as what sort of network you have.(type, size and operating system) The problem could be related to a number of areas such as network cards, system resources, background programs running.
    The second question is a little easier and may relate to the first.
    Microsoft Office adds findfast by default.
    This reindexes your hard drive at a preset interval making a serch faster. The major problem with this is during the indexing the computer is slowed down considerably. I have never really found any real search speed advantage with findfast and as with most users turn the feature off.(shut off the indexing by selecting Index/Delete Index from the Findfast control in the control panel or delete it from the start up folder)
    As with 3rd party search tools most do a better job but again they need to index the drive so most probably can cause similar system slow downs.

thank you!

so on question 2, 3rd party softwares are not any better than ms b/c they dont really use any special service or feature that ms doesnt use right?

on the first question, i have 4 computers; 3are on win 2k and 1 on win98; the 2 computers in question are on win2k (this computer and (let's call it X) ; the odd thing is that when i move files from this computer to the other, it's not so slow ; AND when i move files from/to X to/from another computer, it's not slow; it is only ver slow if it's from this computer to X and vice versa; and this problem doesnt happen all the time, just seldom;

i went to event viewr and i saw error 61 in source winmgmt; deos that give better clues?oh, by the way, is there any place on the net (besides eventid.net) that explains the errors or events from event vieweer if u input the event id and source? i m learning to debug problems but i dont kknow how to search for help from looking at the event viewer log