Thread: acer computer

I used the win95 and win98 startups but could not get it to recognize the cd rom drive so I did something stupid ..i deleted the dos partition with fdisk thinking i could re-create it and get rid of the original acer stuff but all it did was get rid of my a prompt ..the acer stuff is still there and a flashing curser is all i get now. is this fixable since i can't seem to get back to a drive to re-create the dos partition and find the other drives.

Muggs what are you doing? Your start up disk has the option "start the computer with cd-rom support". Did you select this option?
    If you formatted your drive the only files will be your system files..These are not Acer files.

1.Use fdisk to recreate your patition (this can be found on the 98 starup disk. At this point start the computer without cd rom support).
    If your fdisk does not recognise your drive then you neeed to go into bios and look for the option "automatically detect hard drives". Press this option and it should detect you hard drive..select "Y" and keep pressing enter till you exit. If your bios is award then you can get into the bios by pressing the delete key while the computer is booting. Check you first screen to make sure it is listed after detection.
    2.format your disk. (format c: /s/v).
    3.Take out disk from the "A" drive. Reboot and see if the c> prompt comes up
    4. put in the 98 start up disk in drive "A" and reboot (press ctrl+Alt+del) or press the reset button.
    5. select the option "start the computer with cd-rom support".
    6. put your system disk (win 95/98) in your cd-rom.
    7. look at you screen and see the letter of your cd-rom (most likely E
    8: type Eor the letter you see) and press enter. Your prompt should be you cd-rom drive letter.
    9: type SETUP and press enter.
    10. Follow the prompts.

If you have problems let us know.

JL

Thanks JL : I did everything you said but still having problems. I get as far as the part when I load the windows cd to start setup. Setup wants to scandisk my drives first and when this happens it finds no errors on drive C. this is good but then it scans drive d which is a temporary ramdrive created by the startup disk for the diagnostic tools and it finds errors for some reason. I have tried more than one startup disk and even made new ones and the same happens every time. I'm confused as to why I need this ramdrive and if not how can I eliminate it so windows can continue with setup. Sorry I forgot to mention that when the errors show up on scanning d it won't allow me to fix them so then window setup is stopped at that point. can you shed any more light on this. My mind is boggled now.. hope you can help. Thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Once you have fdisked and reformatted the drive you can creat a simple boot disk that contains the CD drivers
    Go to http://falcon.jmu.edu/~jarvislb/utils/boot_cd.html
    or
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downr..._bootdisks.htm

The ram drive is a momory drive only and is used by windows to load the system. If your having problems here it usually means there is a memory problem. You can by-pass the ramdrive but if it is momory it will only pop up somewhere else. I have fixed computers that ran perfectly until we reformatted the high drive and tried to reload windows and found bad memory. I suggest you bite the bullet and take it to a technician at this point. We who fix computers have memory,cpus,hard drives etc. hanging around that we can pop in in out to isolate the problem...a very destinct disadvantage to you.