I have a Sony Viao model # PCV-RX360DX with a blown Power supply. Sony wants about $250.00 (US) for a replacement. Others want about $230 for a "recertified" rebuilt power supply. I find it hard to be believe (naive, me?) that you must use a proporietary power supply and that an off the shelf $40 special will not work....Anyone out there know if this is the case??? If the proprietary issue is true and the pin-outs are all different...Why would you buy a Sony (no baloney)???
    Thanks in advance.

Chuck

I don't know this particular model but just take out the power supply and bring it to a sevice technican and ask for a replacement...he/she should be able to tell you if it is standard.

JL

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If your computer is still under warranty then it should be changed over by the manufacturer.
    Certified means Sony has agreed that a brand can be used in their systems and not break the warranty.
    If the computer is out of warranty then any ATX power supply should be ok as long as meets the ATX specs and AMD specs if you have an AMD CPU.
    You should be looking around $50 for one.

Thanks for the info. The VIAO is out of warranty so putting another PS in it would make no difference. I just thought that SONY might be practicing some voodoo and altering their pinouts, etc.. I replaced a PS in a HP (for a friend who lived out of town) and the cost (delivered) from HP was $65. I know that is probably $20 higher, BUT I didn't have to screw around with whether it was the correct one or not. I just don't understand how SONY (real baloney) can charge that much for a PS

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

So they can make more money